or Connect

Posts by Xpcting#3

- surprise hot chocolate dates with one of my boys at the local coffee shop - a grill for my DH - gardening supplies, both food and flower seeds/starts
My 5yo DS is loud. Always has been. Loud, loud, loud. I'm not talking about when he's upset, or seeking attention...his normal speaking voice is always about 4 times louder than any other child's. His hearing has been tested, he's healthy, he's whip-smart. His younger brothers (4yo and 2yo) are showing signs of adopting this. Any advice on getting his to bring it down a few notches?
My son did this until he was 3yo. Now (he's almost 4) he still twists his own hair when he's tired, bored, or just wanting to self-soothe. He only plays with my hair once in a great while.
Our DS (an end of May baby, so on the young side for Kindergarten) reads at the fourth grade level and is emotionally very much a 5 year old. He joined a group of 1st graders for reading time four days a week. We just pulled the plug on that - he was very unhappy. He was missing some of the best social time with his class (he was the only one pulled for reading), and he complained that the others in his reading group weren't reading well enough to get into the kinds of...
My 5yo and 3yo often call us by our first names, alternating with 'Mom' or 'Dad'. (Often, they'll slip and call me 'Dad' or my spouse's name, or call him by my name. Interchangeable parents!) Now my 18 month old is calling me by my first name sometimes, too. I admit, I'm sorry to see the 'Mama' go, sometimes. But I grew up calling my parents by their first names. I don't think it's disrespectful or inappropriate at all, and using first names doesn't indicate less...
My boys are 5, 3, and 18 months. The 5 yo is in full day Kgarten (only non-homeschool option here), and we attend church. Sometimes the kids want to stay for Sunday school, but often not. Great story for those of us who are less scheduled: Our church is packed with over-scheduled, over-achieving families. The Christmas pageant started practicing in October, for example, with elaborate scripting, and the whole bit. The director invited my boys to join in as...
I'm mixed race, my family is multiracial, my DH is white. White families have to talk about race more. Here are some good links for you on how parents are working to raise anti-racist kids: http://loveisntenough.com/page/3/?p=zxrcxsqm http://loveisntenough.com/2009/08/05...ite-supremacy/ We tell our kids that violence isn't okay - no hitting, etc. Racism is violence - it hurts people. While we can't control our kids' feelings (or prejudices) we can prohibit...
Bribery. Whatever it takes.
My 3yo has enjoyed spelling 3 letter words on his "Phonics Firefly", but yesterday asked for a game/computer toy into which he can enter 5 letter words. Any recommendations? He loves finding words in books and spelling them out on the toy's keyboard.
Three weeks into the school year, DS (in K) was assessed for reading. The principal called the next day to discuss the possibility of having DS travel for reading instruction with a group of 1st (or possibly 2nd) graders. Might be an option for your little one...