or Connect

Posts by Throkmorton

Ok, here's what I do (and I know. I live in a wussy cold place, but I did the same when I lived in N. Saskatchewan!) Layers! Seriously, several thin layers will protect against cold better than 1 fluffy layer of parka. Start with long johns (wool if your kid will wear them and they are in the budget) and work up from there. Luckily, my oldest is a giant, so I can just shop at the army/navy surplus store and hem the wool ling johns. The smaller two wear recycled...
It's ok! Your baby will thrive! I am also in the same boat. I have IGT and am so friggin sick of the comments. The home nurse from last weekend said to me "Oh, if you want to increase your supply, just remove the supplement for a day or two and nurse on demand" Wait, wha? I had just finished telling her how excited I was that DD was on roughly 20% bm, as per her before and after weights and I was nursing all the time. Literally, all the time. She's nursing right now,...
I have a similar obsession, mostly because I hope it will cut down on fighting in the car.
I have perfected the art of the 3-minute shower. If it's obvious that this will be a "no break for mommy" day, I wait until the oldest is at school, the youngest is sleeping briefley and I bring the middle child into the shower with me. When I only had 2 kids, i did occasionally strap DD into her bouncy seat for her nap. throw on a video for DS and shower quickly.
Quote: Originally Posted by Irishmommy I have a question. Why is no one bitching about FIL presents? I'm sure that SOME people on this thread must have a FIL. It can't all be the MIL, can it. I like equal opportunity bitching. My FILs are good gift-givers. One sends HBC gift cards, the other sends Callebaut chocolates. It's the MILs that scare me. Quote: Originally Posted by elsa_elsa not nearly as offensive as...
Quote: Originally Posted by MomInCalifornia Even with all the seats in use we have a ton of space in the back for strollers, groceries, park toys, bikes etc. So would there be room in the back for, say a BOB Revolution Duallie, wheels off? (Big double jogger) I'm trying to narrow down my minivan options, and some (like the Caravan) have no storage for my strollers, not even my double umbrella stroller.
Wow! That is a total 70's price tag. We did fairly well, except my SMIL made NewDD a "baby care package" of pacifiers, bottles, scented baby powder and dollar store wipes. Whee. I am trying not to get too choked though, she actually has no kids of her own and is sort of flailing in the dark about baby stuff.
Wow, she's a big eater! DD is the same age and with supplement and breastmilk she is taking roughly 15-18 oz/day of formula plus around 4-8 oz of breast milk, depending on whether are are having a good boob day. Anyways, I do have some suggestions because I went through the exact same thing with my older DD. Some suggestions may be obvious but I would rather tell you something you know than skip something helpful. First, don't mix each bottle separately. Mix a day's...
The best: DD, surrounded by plastic, light-up toys playing quietly "makin' snack" with her new kitchen set while sitting on her wooden rocking horse. Oh, and the to-die-for puzzle box my father made for DD out of a single block of wood cut from a very special tree. At 19mos, she doesn't care but I will put it up for a couple years until she understands, even though it's just a block of wood and she can't hurt it. The worst: DS's reaction to getting a pair of Carhartts...
I never tell anyone what to buy, but I do often suggest things to my mom that get passed around. For example, my dad is a master carpenter, so I hint oh-so-subtly that my kids would like some wooden games (last year, he made a couple gorgeous pull-behind dogs out of oak with non-toxic finishes) I do talk about what my kids like, especially with my mom who is great at spreading gift suggestions. Oh, wait. I do have one rule. Bratz and Barbies will be sacrificed to the...