or Connect

Posts by BirthIsAwesome

With my first baby I declined all the tests except for the basic bloodwork (Rubella titer, CBC, etc.), urine dipstick, and an Rh sensitization test once a month. I am Rh negative and declined prenatal Rhogam, so the blood draw every month tested my blood to see if I had become sensitized. We tested Ds's cord blood when he was born and it was + so I got Rhogam at 48 hours pp. I didn't have any ultrasounds and we used the fetoscope for prenatals (doppler for labour). With...
Those recommendations are nuts! My hospital CNM that I did parallel care with last time said 25-35 pounds was normal and healthy (I'm average weight for my height). My homebirth midwives didn't care a bit about my weight number, they didn't weigh me and never asked me. They just assessed me visually and told me I was healthy. I gained 29 pounds eating whatever healthy food I wanted. Just eat fresh, healthy foods and move a couple times a week (taking stairs, walk around...
We had a girl name as soon as the pee dried on the stick for #1...but then we had a boy! So we will use that name if it's a girl this time. Miriam Faith :) For boys I REALLY love Judah Paul, but hubby doesn't really like it. We haven't really talked about it, except for the fact that we will use our girl name from the last pregnancy if it's a girl. 
I'm also nervous...Ds will only be 18 months when number two is born! It's nice to read the advice from more experienced mamas. 
I stopped by the clinic on base to pick up a paperwork packet the same day I found out I was pregnant (Tuesday). Yesterday I turned in the packet and got an appointment for a dating ultrasound, since I wasn't having a cycle when I got pregnant and have only a rough idea on how far along I am. I jumped on this quickly because the earlier the ultrasound the more precise it is, and my homebirth midwives can only catch at home until 42 weeks, thus why I need an accurate...
Count me in! I didn't get a chance to do this with my first baby because I was in the midst of an international move when the deadline for sending the beads was. Excited!
I am planning my second homebirth. With my first I had no ultrasounds at all, but this time I am considering getting an early ultrasound for dating purposes, since I was not having a consistent cycle because of breastfeeding and have no idea when I conceived (all I know is that I'm somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks pregnant). Other than that I decline all tests besides urine dip sticks and blood tests for things like iron levels and Rh sensitivity (once a month starting at...
Last night I made a tasty dairy-free quiche: mushrooms, spinach, beef bacon, onions, free range eggs from my neighbor, sesame milk, and homemade crust made with coconut oil instead of butter :) It was delicious! Dinner tonight is steak, zucchini, and corn on the cob, all on the grill. The veggies are from our garden, yum!
  *Name (whatever you would like to be called or like us to know you by): Jessica *EDD: Don't know---I am breastfeeding and haven't had a consistent cycle. I'm somewhere between 4 and 8 weeks pregnant. ETA: I just got my hCG numbers back and they put me roughly between 6 and 7 weeks gestation. Of course, it's highly inaccurate, but at least it's narrowed down slightly. I'm putting "early March" for my guess-date.  *Age/ age when the baby will be born:...
For white potato chips I love Cape Cod! They are so crispy and yummy :) They are an occasional trip, however, because they are fried in refined vegetable oils. I second the sweet potato chip idea, that's smart. I bet a baked potato chip would be a good choice also.