or Connect

Posts by mama2004

Thanks so much for all the replies!  We live in a city on the west coast, and apparently, people have this preschool stuff planned years in advance; it hasn't been on my radar until just recently.  The place that I'm most closely considering (and is a new school, doesn't have a two year wait list, yet) is a Montessori preschool/kindergarten that also offers Suzuki violin, both group and individual lessons.  Those things are a big plus.     I don't have direct...
Hi all.  I'm starting the process of looking at preschools for my ds (4.5), and I'm feeling really in the dark about stuff.  I had planned to be able to stay home with him a bit longer, but things change and instead I'm job hunting and trying to arrange for some school for me, too.   I'm really hoping that some of you who have been through the preschool stuff before can help me think of some questions to ask when I'm going on tours and meeting staff.  Here's my...
The replies are really helpful, thank you.  I feel like I'm in crazytown.  Somehow most everything is my fault.  I know that we're both hurting and have been for a while, but because I don't trust his family (especially those who have been hearing that I'm depressed or controlling or spiteful or whatever), because I asked him to stop contact with the person (our wedding officiant, actually) I caught him tangled up with six months after we were married, I am controlling...
Thanks, doubledutch.  I appreciate your kind words and the fyt suggestion is great.  I figured I was asking for things that would likely be too area specific, but I was trying to avoid just saying, "I'm incredibly sad and overwhelmed right now."  Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I've been working on an exit plan and my marriage, but it seems most likely that my marriage will expire before my exit plan is completed.  So I think I'll be joining the ranks of the amazing women here.  I'm feeling a little out of my depth (I've been a sahm for the last four years), and I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction as far as resources to seek out if I do find myself flying solo in the next little while.     Specifically, if anyone...
EFT sounds interesting, our counselor is Harville Hendrix based, mostly, I think.  I wonder how they compare.  Unfortunately, I think I'm waking up to the idea (fact?) that a lot of the past four years has been embellished by generous helpings of emotional abuse on the part of my H, although he is lately accusing me of abuse.  I think we might be at an end, honestly, because I've gone round this circle way too many times already.  The only reason I'm here at this point...
Thank you so much for the replies.  It helps a great deal to have some encouragement amidst all the confusion.  Miami Mommy (welcome to the PNW!), thanks very much for the book recommendation--I'm going to see if I can find a copy of that book this weekend.  I have been working with our counselor to avoid labeling or pathologizing behaviors, which is helpful, but I keep running smack into the fact that one half of our household has a sense of "normal" that just isn't,...
Hi, I didn't want to take the original thread in a different direction, but as I was reading through it, I found I was coming up with some questions.   My H (not so D, these days) is the child of alcoholics.  Alcoholism goes back through many generations on both sides of his family, as far as I can tell.  His mother has been in recovery for about fifteen years (after H was grown and moved out), I think, and his father has died.  I grew up with parents who didn't (and...
Mine have totally faded.  I have really fair skin, and had some faint, small stretch marks already from puberty on my hips.  I gained about 70 pounds (don't know how) while pregnant with ds and about a gazillion stretch marks, mostly below my belly button, a few faint ones on my breasts.  When they started to appear on my belly, I couldn't see over the bump, so I didn't think about them much while pregnant, except that they were itchy (took me a while to figure out why...
Sure, but that's the point, it's not entirely neutral, so maybe that provides a platform for considering what or how a parent might want to include things that they remember fondly from their childhood.  Or why.  I have fond memories of something called a "Steak-Umm" (sp?) that we used to sometimes have for a snack or lunch.  I think they still exist, but I wouldn't in a million years put one in my mouth again (I expect they've changed some in the thirty or so years since...