or Connect

Posts by Savoir Faire

Long, long story short: A year (or two?) ago, we contacted the Girl Scouts about joining. We were basically told, "There's only one group in your area. It meets at the school. The person in charge of the troop will not allow your child in if she doesn't attend the school."   Me: "My child does not attend ANY school. This makes it hard to find one at her school."   Them: "Sorry to hear that."   Time has passed and said child is still begging to join. Things...
My daughter started to read on her 7th birthday. It was probably a few months (maybe more?) after that before she would really read on her own.   Within 3-4 months of that, she was finishing Harry Potter books. She can easily go through a 200 page chapter book within a day or two.   So, yes, I totally agree. Too much effort is being put on a child reading at five. Let them learn to LOVE to read and find things they love reading!  
This reminds me of my first year of college-- when my parents made me go to a small Christian school when that was the last thing I wanted.   Always in trouble and not always sure why.   I'd make an agreement with her about how its important to learn to suck it up in difficult situations. Maybe make it through Halloween or to Christmas, then if its still not working out- time to reevaluate. Its a bit adjustment and it can just take her longer to get used to it...
I am jumping for joy for you. {{Okay, doing a happy dance in my chair...but...STILL.}} Awesome!  
I agree with everyone else-- you're not describing school at home (at least, to me).   The people I know who do SAH are at their desks at 830 and are there until 330, with a break for "recess." They stick to the work/text books no matter how boring they are, because that's what they are supposed to do.   To me, its not very personal-- not something I really want to do.
My 6-year-old son is definitely in a defiant, whining stage. (We should get them together.)   Long story short: We do 4 days of work each week. If they want to get their Fridays off, they have to have a check for each day. In order to get a check, you actually have to do your work (and not drive me nuts in the process). The boy doesn't have that much to do, either. I just let him know that he WILL get it done and the longer he argues/carries on, the longer it will...
Seconding that this seems like A LOT for a newbie homeschooler 1st grader.   Coming from someone who has been doing this 3? 4 years? (I also have a 1st grader.) So many people try to do everything all at once at the beginning.   For my son, we really work on math. Math, math, math. He's picking up more and more reading on his own (his sister also taught herself to read at 7). We also do handwriting.
All districts still fall under no child left behind.   So....yes. We have lived in places with "amazing" districts and we have continued to HS.  
A baby in a studio is DEFINITELY doable! We had a (filled to the brim) 2 bedroom apartment when my daughter was born and she ended up in our room, anyway. Co-sleep, or get a moses basket or one of those pack-n-plays for the baby. Sure, it isn't a fancy nursery....but who cares? The baby isn't going to throw a fit at 13 when it realizes that it didn't have a fancy nursery!   Without going into details, I can definitely sympathize with you. My pregnancy with my first...
Definitely DO NOT take out a second mortgage against your house. If you default on a credit card, you get a bad credit score. If you default on your mortgage, they will TAKE YOUR HOUSE.   First--- it is possible to survive on that $600. You will have very little wiggle room but it can be done.   I would personally make the minimum payments possible on all cards-- and snowball any extra cash you get towards the one with the lowest balance.   As for making...