or Connect

Posts by Savoir Faire

How about some books on tape?? We listen to them in the car a lot and I think it has encouraged my daughter's reading....she gets sucked into the story and doesn't want it to end when we pull into the driveway.
My daughter really liked the Rainbow Magic series. Even better? There's 100 books in it! Seriously. (They're a super popular series.)   Otherwise, I {{{heart}}} the Ramona books by Beverly Cleary. Fudge/Superfudge by Judy Blume is popular with my two (6 and 7.9). I'm actually looking for read-alouds for my two right now....so I'm kind of in the same boat.   By any chance, does she like Harry Potter? We listened to the entire series on tape and it was totally...
All I will usually say is, "I'm not a big fan of standardized tests."   Even the most hard-core pro school people really haven't been able to find fault in that. I just keep the rest of my opinions quiet :)
I'm very interested in this topic-- just a little of my own background:   I went to a public HS in a very well-off community. My B gpa (in the 90s) had me in the lower 50% of my class. I couldn't get into any public school I had wanted-- because they all had GPA/SAT levels. (The lower your GPA= the higher your SAT must be.) Again, I had decent SATs, but they were totally average.   I took the community college route my freshman year and got good grades in...
One more thing: I agree with the previous poster...my kids have to help out before any screen time.   Screen time starts somewhere around 3 in our house. It lasts for 2 hours-- in which they can do a Wii/movie or just movie. They have to do TWO chores before they turn on that screen. Sometimes they are bigger chores, sometimes I'm looking for something tiny that they can do fast.   Just wiping down toilet seats is such a help. Bringing down trash cans. Putting...
I don't believe in living my life fitting into someone else's standards. That includes any labels-- such as what defines an unschooler or radical unschooler or whatnot. It sounds to me that you are not happy. That is a catalyst for change right there.   I don't care if the world says I am not an unschooler because I teach my children math. So be it. When my children are adults, I am going to have to stand in front of them and tell them that I did the best that I...
Just an update of sorts....we have heard all the books up to the Half Blood Prince, but she had wanted to go and read to find any details she might have missed. I had mentioned to her that she might want to write down all this knowledge she has gained-- since she's always asking questions and spouting off facts.   A couple days later, she said she was thinking of trying to write an "encyclopedia" (of sorts) and she has been doing it. I haven't helped except with...
-strew. Infrequent or regularly?  -- Not really sure what this is.   -have curriculum or textbooks in the house?  Few or many? -- A few and most are not used.   -ask or model that kids use the above items - We have a math workbook that the kids do use. We have cursive books, but they wanted me to get those for them.   -insist kids use these items. -- I don't think I insist too much.   -kids have chores -- Yes, but they aren't set. They have to do two...
So, my daughter is seven. After much struggles, we decided to unschool her. So far, it seems to be going pretty well.   She started to read on her 7th birthday (past July)....just sat down, picked up a book and read it aloud. I nearly fell over. Since then, she has slowly started reading more, but she was always hesitant to read a lot of books because they were "too hard."   Less than a week ago, she picked up a Harry Potter book (the first one) and read it...
I haven't Freecycled in awhile, but I used to do it avidly. I had a crazy system-- basically, take the time to write a nice email, including punctuation. Second, be polite with please and thank you. Third-- sob stories were not a deciding factor. I could go on there tomorrow and say, "I have no home and I'm emailing you from inside a trash can," when, in reality, I'm sitting in a 2,000 square foot house.   I've dealt with the general public enough to know not to get...