or Connect

Posts by Savoir Faire

We did this several years ago....we had so many dishes that we could go for days without washing. We put all the extras in the closet....and it turns out, we didn't need them!   We really need so much less than we think!!!
    Trust me-- you're so RIGHT on this one!!! I'm not much for exclusion...just pointing out that I've seen it happen.    
I started considering when my daughter was one, as well. (Mine are also a year apart, like the previous poster.)   I guess you first have to start off with what you're wanting for the twins-- for life, education, etc. I knew I did not want my children taking standardized tests so that the school could get $$. From there, I realized that private school would not be an option for us. At the time, I originally thought maybe we'd HS for a year or two, but this has...
Hello everyone....   I've been into simple living for awhile now....but I had a period or two where I let things get away. (Basically, we moved out of state for a job and got more $$. My idea?? Let's get a big house!)   Luckily, our big house (2200 sq feet) is a rental. I've come to the conclusion that while I REALLY LIKE our house (nice blinds, tile, kitchen, etc.) I do not like having a big, huge house. Three toilets with hard water? Upstairs carpet? Ugg. A...
Thank you, ladies. It is funny-- if I had a friend with this problem, I'd know what to tell her. But...when it is me? So much harder.   In the past, I have "jumped the gun" and ended a few friendships that could have been saved. I have since apologized to those friends and we have relationships again. (Yay!) So...I try to take the deep breath mode these days and not just take my ball and go home without really examining the evidence.   I also don't typically buy...
She's a good friend but has made a few stupid comments in the past...such as "I could never be friends with a homeschooler" (before she knew that's what we planned on doing) and also neg comments about non-circ'ed kids (Forgetting that we did not snip.).   This time, we were staying at her house (we live in different states) and she got very drunk. She started critiquing my 6-year-old's social skills...to a point where I felt VERY uncomfortable. I tried to...
I agree with hubby. I don't need the state laying it out for me. I'd rather find something else than do that.   I've heard of others who have done k-12 and have not heard much positive about it. I also know, depending on the group, that some homeschool groups don't consider "virtual schools" homeschooling and will decline entrance to the group.   Are there any other curriculum you are interested in? Oh...and welcome to homeschooling!
Could you stay friends with someone who makes a negative comment about your child (that has to do with homeschooling)? Has this happened to you?    
A lot of this is just going to depend on how you parent and your child's personality. Our kids are about the same age. Our older girl is difficult at times-- definitely acted like doing two seconds of work was  KILLING her.   We just got into the habit of doing something every weekday. It became a "no issue." You don't want to do this (tiny bit) of work? Well...we're going to remember this later when you want to do X. X will not happen.   My daughter really...
You kind of HAVE to become the teacher (of sorts) if you're doing anything besides unschooling. There's going to be times where your child is going to have to sit down, do work and not like it...and it's gonna be up to you to get her to do it.   We have those days....but I really don't find it that hard. As her mom and her teacher, I can tell the days when we need to keep it simple and the days we just need to trudge on through. I definitely say our days/time is less...