or Connect

Posts by mocha09

Lilyka, I agree 100% that the behavior has nothing to do with the boy being deaf. I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I thought his being deaf had something to do with the behavior, or that the behavior is in some way not normal toddler stuff. My neighbors do not have a phone. They actually use my computer right now to get in touch with the relay service and make their phone calls and IM and email at my place from my computer. I have a few friends who are fluent...
Dd plays just about every day with a little deaf boy. She is about to turn 2, and he is 18 months old. He has recently become *very* physical and aggressive with her. (I know this is a phase, and dd went through it as well, although not nearly to this extent.) He hits her, tackles her, grabs her, tries to pull her, and tries to grab every toy she holds in her hands. Dd gets very scared and cries when he tackles her in any way. Her playmate's mother and father...
You also might want to check out any local autism clinics in your area and have her evaluated. Many of the things you describe are symptoms of a high-functioning (a very mild form of) autism... the meltdowns, the clumsiness, the onset age, the dismisal of affection, and the having to have things in a certain order. Could just be her temperament, as Pamelamama said... and she did offer some great suggestions.
I have zero experience with this. Dd never took a pacifier. (thought lord knows I tried in those first couple colicky months!) I like what Dragonfly said. If it's a source of comfort, why give it up? Perhaps you could restrict it to nap time and bed time like other posters mentioned? I have a friend who lets her daughter only use her pacifier in her room, and no where else, so if she wants to suck on it, she has to do it only in that room. No taking it out. I...
What do you mean by getting into everything? My dd is now 23 months, and by the time she could walk, I had babyproofed the entire house. I know some people would rather not babyproof, and teach "boundaries" instead, but I wanted her to feel free to explore. 14 months old are supposed to get into everything...that's how they learn. When my daughter gets into something that I don't want her getting into, I redirect her to something else. I hand her another toy to...
Oh! Come up here! Hooray! I'm glad that you made it back okay, and that things are falling into place. I can just imagine the transition for O.
I think if the new doctor mom is partnered with a stay-at-home dad, more power to them! Not the choice I would make, but I'm much too lazy for med school even without kids. Denise Richards annoys the piss out of me.
Welcome back Sonya! (I DO remember a Sonya here, but not with your username? Did you change usernames?)
I'm a grad student at a large urban public university. We get childcare subsidies if we qualify financially. There is also on-site childcare with a wait-list but priority for students. I have a TA appointment, which pays exactly $60 less than the cost of monthly daycare without subsidies. With subsidies, I am left with less than half of my monthly stipend. I actually pulled my dd out of daycare because even with the subsidies, I am paying $450 a month, which is...