or Connect

Posts by beru

In the 90s or maybe as late as 2001, I saw a display by a student group against circumcision.  I didn't really have any opinion of it at the time or even much interest.  I was just curious. I looked at their material and thought it all sounded like common sense.  I had fortgotten about that exposure by the time I got pregnant. I think, however, it took root in my psyche.    By the time I got pregnant, I was naive. I read through an informational binder of prenatal care...
I am very curious about others' thoughts on this.  I was one of the SAME kids who got excluded all the time, or at least picked last, so I am torn.  I would just prefer that my kids' freetime at recess is not spent in a microcosm that bears no resemblance to the real world - where people have to negotiate their relationships with others and where life isn't fair. I think this changes the nature and learning opportunities of recess. Isn't it social micromanagement?   In...
(Inspired by this thread: http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1389452/do-you-let-your-child-go-up-the-slide/80)   I received a handout from school outlining the expectations for children at recess in elementary school.  This went way beyond being respectful of others, no bullying, no fighting, etc.   1. It outlined the rules of the games that they play: kickball, tag, etc. The rules outlined were the ones they are to use. 2. It states that children are not allowed to...
I was at a play area with my 3 year old son and I was sat on a bench next to an elderly grandma. We were having a lovely chat when I realized it was near time for us to leave.  I called my son over and told him we have 10 minutes before we have to leave.  The grandma laughed knowingly, "Oh that is silly. He won't want to leave no matter how much warning you give him".  I decided not to get into a discussion so I just said that's just the way we do things and went back to...
I won't push.  My husband hated doing his BA. And he is perfectly capable, not unintelligent and a really good writer. He just wasn't interested. It's his regret in life that he did not learn a trade and simply did as his parents expected.  He wishes he were a carpenter or mechanic or a welder. He explores this things as hobbies now.  He LOVES it when he makes something or fixes something and he can tangibly see and use what he has done.  It provides immediate...
In a few weeks, my son (4th grade) is taking the Explore as part of Belin Blanks talent search. What have been other kids' experience?  I want to do my very best to help my son relax.  On the one hand, I don't want him to study because we aren't trying to prove anything, I just want an honest assessment of what he knows. On the other hand, I thought I should have him do the practice test so he is familiar with the format.  I am afraid he will get anxious and reducing some...
I actually don't think female genitals are represented accurately either. For instance, the clitoris is a large organ - most of it under the skin. The part we see is the clitoris glans yet it is not normally illustrated or described in physiology texts. I, however, think it is a more benign omission than the omission of accurate information on the normal physiology and development of the male foreskin.
Hi OP, Welcome.   Did you know that the average age of retraction is 10 years old? Also, it is not unusual in childhood for a foreskin that was previously retractable to become unretractable. Foreskins are not "needed" until puberty and over the years of puberty is when a child's foreskin will gradually develop into a foreskin with adult function.    http://www.drmomma.org/2010/01/phony-phimosis-diagnosis.html   I think it is often difficult to find out who...
I am horrified by your story and am in tears. I am so sorry for your boy and for you. I am glad you feel you have the support of hospital staff. Good luck.
I just bought this book for my son and it is magnificent. I thought it had completely accurate info on the foreskin. I am wondering if Greg B had an earlier edition. Chapter 3, which was new for the third edition, has about 8 pages on circumcision and the anatomy and development of the foreskin.   I also like the rest of the book. I can tell the auther has similar beliefs to me. Although she does seem to be trying to be objective on the surface, it's quite clear she has a...