or Connect

Posts by slightly crunchy

First I would say more insistently "please move back so ds can go down the slide". And then I would stand there and wait expectantly until he did. I really have never had it happen, where a kid did not back down when an adult stepped in. But if he didn't, I would say something like what SpanishRose said, above. I mean, what else could you do? I would not physically move someone else's child. I guess another option would be to look for whoever was with him. But, I would...
I wanted to add, not only kids CD's, but classical music CD's if you don't already have some.
Quote: Originally Posted by swampangel I think at 4ish, the feeling and motivation behind the action changes. I think they are more capable of stopping the behavior, but there are more possible reasons for why they don't. It isn't so much "I see my brother there and I want to pounce on him so I do." It might be that the 4yo is jealous of the baby or the 4yo knows that being rough with the baby will get mom's attention right away. It might be boredom...
For preschool and K age (and not all on Amazon)-- puzzles (the wooden knob kind are great for 2 year olds) lacing cards big wooden beads for stringing gardening tools made for small children cleaning supplies made for small children (broom, mop with bucket) magnifying glass a sensory table or bin (for writing in the sand, or filling with different materials for sensory play, mixing and pouring) easel nice set of wooden blocks dress up clothes and playsilks laminated...
Quote: Originally Posted by tuffykenwell I think there is some value in having your children exposed to different styles of "teaching"... I agree with this, too. I know I will be the one to know my child best for years to come; however that doesn't mean that there might not be some subjects in the future where he wouldn't benefit from someone else being able to explain something differently than I could, or would think to do. In my mind those...
Quote: Originally Posted by Lillian J I don't know if this is true, but I'm assuming what some people are concerned about is the idea of jumping ahead of what the child really wants - in other words, taking an interest into a bigger project than the child had in mind. I can imagine a child being interested in letters and numbers, for instance, but not particularly having an interest in reading yet. - Lillian Yes, this is what I meant. My...
Quote: Originally Posted by RedWine I don't understand this logic. I gues it depends on the "phonics program" you are thinking of. I did 100 EZ lessons with dd1 when she was three, because she was already picking out sight words. I did NOT do it strictly as written, I altered it to make it fun for her. So I definitely guided her through phonics, and she was very appreciative. ***** I guess I just don't understand the hesitancy to use "academic"...
Well, from my understanding, I don't think the unschooling philosophy would have a problem with a young child learning to read at 3 or 4, if the child came up with the idea himself, and it wasn't pushed on him. As to Waldorf, well, I guess it depends on whether you subscribe to those ideas about child development. I think it is wrong to DIScourage early reading if a child is intent on doing it. At the same time, it doesn't seem right to me to take an interest in...
I have the same problem with my 4.5 year old. This is one area where I really end up feeling resentful when cleaning up after endless messes takes away time that I could playing with him or his little brother. This is one area where I am starting to believe that just modelling isn't going to do the trick. Though I am working a lot on that aspect, also. We are about to do a huge decluttering of the toys and my closets. I have talked to him several times about how I feel...
There is a Lauri puzzle that is lowercase foam letters. You can get reasonably priced capital and lowercase sandpaper letters from Lakeshore Learning online.