or Connect

Posts by slightly crunchy

I have been thinking the same thing, for when kids are older. I was thinking something like the walking tours that some people I have known have taken. With children, it would have to be more design-your-own. When I have travelled overseas, the most "real" experiences we have had have been staying in very small bed-and-breakfasts. The ones we stayed at were run by older couples or older families, who knew a lot about the more out of the way places to visit. It was almost...
I don't know. I think it could be that she is still just 3? Some 3 year olds don't seem to really play "with" other kids. Even though they seem close to the same age, there is a huge difference developmentally between a 3.5 yo and a 4.5 or 5 yo. I would not assume it has anything to do with going to preschool and things might be a lot different in a few months.
I have the K and first grade books in this series. I like having them so I can get ideas for the next couple years. The Core Knowledge program, from my understanding, is actually considered advanced from what the typical public school child is learning. That is the point of it. Typical ps is dumbed down for many. The typical PS does not use a Core Knowledge curriculum, but I guess some charter schools do. There are other programs that advocate starting ancient history in...
I think it depends on the child. My oldest was like that, terrible time transitioning and so on. Honestly we are still going through it to a lesser extent and with different sorts of things, and he is 4. ((hugs)). My younger son is more easy going. I have recently discovered the book "Raising Your Spirited Child." I don't remember it being as useful with a toddler, but you may want to check it out; it sounds like you may have a child who is on the more intense end of...
There is a yahoo group that you can join, I found it through one of the other threads here about Enki. There are questions and answers from the author of Enki curriculum. There is one place where she says if you are practicing Jewish or Christian, you may not be happy with Enki. But I can't speak from personal experience. I am curious about it too. I have a hard time getting past the name. Do a search on Enki (the Sumerian god) and maybe you will see what I mean....
I wonder if that depends on how you define reading and writing? Ds 4 yo is sounding out simple phonetic words, but I don't consider that "reading" because he can't sit down and read a book, for example. Well, except for some of the Bob books. He also knows how to write half to 2/3 of his letters, and writes them everywhere, but isn't putting them together to write many words all on his own. I don't consider this "writing", either. But the writing that he does do, started...
My oldest was also verbally advanced and interested in everything. I second the idea of getting some different developmentally appropriate toys and activities as you can. They don't really need to learn letters and numbers at this age (although if they want to, that is fine, too), and there are so many other important skills they will need to succeed in school--like fine and gross motor, and problem solving. Montessori-inspired toys are great for 2-5 year olds. They can...
I am debating whether to do anything for history for kindergarten. I think I am going to continue what we already do, which is try to read lots of different picture books which indirectly lead to discussions of cultures around the world. I have found that the Five in a Row booklist is actually great for that. The Well Trained Mind also has a list of books for different time periods, and there are a few that seem like they could be geared for that age as read a loud--like...
Quote: Originally Posted by PrennaMama I'm wondering if anyone has considered the behavioral modelling aspect of allowing our children to be around smokers, even on an every other week basis, or such? I mean, yes, whether it's a little bit of a health issue, or a huge health issue, in terms of how the second and third hand smoke affects babies and children, there is still the behavior itself, and if we're saying we condone that behavior, by frequenting...
This is so hard. We have smoking relatives as well. One of the grandparents (who we only see once a year), and several uncles, seen a few times a year. None of them smoke inside; however, they all reek of smoke, of course. I can understand not wanting to be in a home that is smoked in a lot and smells of smoke, but where do you draw the line? The links that a few people posted, show that even if the smoking is done outside, there is still nicotine and other toxins all...