or Connect

Posts by slightly crunchy

Is it the kind of school where there there is not much chance of them getting in there if they don't start in kindergarten? If not, why not homeschool until your youngest starts K, then put them both in school if you want to try out school at that time? If you go that route, you could ask the school what they use for handwriting, math, etc. so your dc could segue into the school most easily.
Quote: Originally Posted by oceanbaby Nope, never spanked. But, I have grabbed ds's arm too hard This. There have been a few times where I have been angry when ds was hurting his little brother, and I was too rough. It is at these times when I can (almost) understand that a little swat on the butt after the fact could be seen as preferable. **But I do believe that neither of this is at all acceptable behavior from me.
Here is a thread about this from a while back. http://www.mothering.com/discussions...hlight=chapter Recent hits at our house are James and the Giant Peach, and the Thornton Burgess Bird Book. I am thinking Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe will be a good one soon, but my son might still be a little too sensitive for the battles.
It looks like your child is just over 2 years old. I think for 2 and 3 year olds, just playing and maybe setting up a craft, is more than enough! I, too, like the Mudpies to Magnets book that someone mentioned. It has ideas for "science experiments" for ages 2-5, and lists which activities are better for which ages. If you would like to do Montessori stuff, this is a great book: http://www.amazon.com/Teaching-Monte.../dp/0452279097 I have done lots of Montessori-ish...
Thank you so much! My library has several of these, so I am off to check them out.
Anyone have a recommendation for a handcraft book for age 5-6? It doesn't have to be Waldorf, but I know they use a lot of natural materials, and my son has really liked the ideas I found free online. I am not necessarily interested in wet on wet painting or forms. Is Oak Meadow a good craft book? Or is there something else, that is better?
Quote: Originally Posted by Cullens_Girl As a mom of a very social toddler, I wonder how things will be any different once we start homeschooling in the official "school years" Right now our calendar is so jammed packed with social events/activities, play days, etc. that I hardly have room to breathe. I don't see how this is going to change in as we move into the school years... What changes is that almost all of the children go to school. It...
I don't see anythng from your post that suggests there is something "wrong"'with the child. Almost 3 and with a newsibling? And you observed him, for maybe an hour or two, tops? It sounds like a lot of sugar but I would not say anything. This mama is making the big adjustment from one to two children and the oldest is a handful. I think saying anything runs a risk of hurting feelings at a time when she is exhausted and vulnerable.
I think it is. For my kids, yes. It is not even easy to find a boxed curriculum for 3 year olds. Most packaged curriculums I have seen, start at preK for age 4, or for K. Maybe something like letteroftheweek.com would be fun? I think there are soooo many neat and fun things to do with preschoolers, that it is almost a shame to be stuck with a curriculum that tells you what to do. But there are lots and lots of fun preschool ideas on the internet, to draw from, that...
My 4.5 yo does make his own sandwiches and cereal and things like that. He does use the stove and toaster oven, but only with me. He is very careful and responsible, but I feel more comfortable supervising with heat cooking at this age. I can sympathize with the nap thing. I don't have to hold my 1 yo the whole time, but I do have to lay down with him a little and sneak away. One thing I do sometimes is make lunch and snacks in the morning, while I am cleaning up...