or Connect

Posts by slightly crunchy

Quote: Originally Posted by grumo If you were to purchase Enki 1st grade for a 5 year old, the stories probably wouldn't match up developmentally, and the while you might be successful in teaching your child the letters and numbers, it would be no more nourishing for your child than if you purchased a standard curriculum. Yes, I am thinking you are very right here, and this is what I am concerned about. I did find the article you...
Thank you! Wonder Homeschool is a fantastic site! I have been enjoying browsing it the past couple of days. Okay, so Enki has a whole lot of Waldorf, and it sounds like follows the Steiner development ideas? What I am really wanting is a gentle kindergarten that is fun and incorporates a lot of movement and crafts, and rhythm to the day. I want ds to be able to feel like he is "doing kindergarten" like his school friends, but not to delay academics compared with...
Well, you could just point out how much your child has already learned on her own, and how you will be able to let her follow her interests at home. You could even point out that she is already "advanced" and that it would be harder for a teacher in a classroom of 18 to build on her interests if the rest of the class is doing material she already knows. Plus, in a classroom, the kids are as much as a year apart in age, so of course are going to have different...
I have seen that a few posters here are using or looking into Enki. From everything I have read, it sounds really intriguing. I think we would love the crafts and movement in our day. I would like opinions, though, on how close you all think it is to Waldorf, especually in regard to academics. I have read that in Waldorf schooling, there are no letters or numbers introduced until first grade, and no writing. Is the same true for Enki? I am wondering what I would do with...
Do you think this young woman was truly "unschooled" though? She had a traditional schooling for the first 14 or so years of her life (through 8th grade). It is a wonderful story, though, and great press for homeschooling.
Carry her! She is really, really little. Some day you will miss this. Check out the babywearing forum and consider trying a back carrier, like the Ergo, in addition to the sling. IME kids want to be carried for short periods for a long time after learning to walk. My 4 yo still wants to be carried once in a while. It got easier when he could wrap his legs around me, piggy back. Somewhere after age 2.
I think work ethic has more to do with how one is brought up, than with method of schooling. But, maybe some of it is personality, too. I am sure you know of families where some of the children become principled, hardworking adults, and others, well, don't.
This is the main thing that concerns me about homeschooling, also. I totally get the argument that homeschoolers can be socialized and learn the social rules with no problem. But, going to lots of classes and activities, does not equal having friends. Many longterm friendships are built from proximity, don't you think? Family, going to school together, or living down the street, which provides lots of opportunities day in and day out to be together. Even many marriages I...
It sounds like you are assuming that most people with advanced nearsightedness, started out with poor vision in young childhood. I don't think that this is the case. When nearsightedness is detected at school age, it is typically quite mild, I believe. It is over the school years that it progresses, and in some people continues to progress through the 20's. In your example, Quote: one born with extremely blurred vision (yet remains undetected until age 7, 8,...
Quote: Originally Posted by WuWei See, I have a different take on this too. I don't like shopping at Walmart, dh doesn't mind. So, he does the Walmart run. Dh doesn't like doing laundry, I don't find it an issue, so that is my preferred way to contribute to the family. Ds likes helping to unload the dishwasher, I don't like doing the silverware, so together we get it done. I don't like cleaning the toilets, dh likes the toilets cleaner than I, so he does...