or Connect

Posts by acannon

Thanks very much for responding. I suspected as much, but having someone else tell me that means a lot. I tend to panic and think of the worst possible outcome, and somehow decide that that's what is going to happen. I've done this since I was a little kid. This is where a lot of the panic and anxiety is coming from, and I really appreciate that you and others are giving me level-headed answers rather than jumping on the crazy train with me. LOL   Another big reason why...
No. We were never married. He talked about getting a court order, but I haven't been served the papers, so I guess he hasn't done it. The only reason he pursued sole custody when he did was because I asked him about having an informal custody agreement between the two of us. I was trying to move out of my aunt's house at the time, and I was intending to move into a program for low-income mothers, but in order to qualify for the program, I had to have some type of physical...
How do I go about moving there, though? I've never moved somewhere out of state by myself before. I'd most likely wait til a year or so from now, when I've graduated from community college, and I'd transfer to a 4 year school in NYC, but there's still the logistics and money to work out. If I thought it would help, I would've moved there sooner, but I'm already somewhat established here. My family lives here, even though I don't get along with them. I have friends and...
I've been a member of this forum since November 2007, but I took a very long hiatus due to some family issues. I'm posting this thread here today because I remember that this forum was a *huge* help, both to me and to other mothers, especially those who are in crisis. I'm posting it in the single parent forum because it's a custody issue. I do have a girlfriend, who also has a son, but we're separated from our children's biological fathers.   Edit: I don't want sole...
I would get a second opinion. I could see if he only had one or two diagnoses, but the fact that he has all three makes me think he has ASD, along with the things you mentioned. Does he fit the DSM criteria for PDD-NOS? You said he has social delays, but does he have the key impairments that are indicative of ASD? Do you know if he showed the behaviors that you listed here during the evaluation? It sounds to me like he either performed better during the evaluation than he...
Now he isn't going at all. He went twice today and seemed excited about it, but every other time I took him to the bathroom, he started crying when we walked into the room. One problem is that he's still signing that he has to go but he won't go. I don't know what to do about that. I try to respond to him by taking him to the bathroom, but when I do, he starts crying. Should I ignore him when he tells me he has to go, or should I still take him to the bathroom?
We use a potty chair that has a removable bowl and he'll stand and I'll hold the bowl under him while he pees. We haven't really done poops yet because he's really irregular and I can't tell when he's going.
It's not actually a strike. It's just a bit of regression. I'll just be giving him something to distract him and praising him more when he goes. He's walking and he has three teeth coming in at once, so this isn't really surprising at all. He did go in the potty when I gave him something to play with and he was really happy when he went and I made a big deal about it.
I just stand my son up on the back of the toilet. We tried it once at home and he's been going that way in public ever since. He never poops out in public, though, so I've never had to deal with that. One thing that's annoying with this method, though, is that I have to pull his pants all the way off and put them back on because he sometimes pees on them, but it's great not having to carry around a travel potty. One other method some parents use is to have their child sit...
We've been doing EC and haven't run across any problems up until now. I've been doing a bedtime routine with DS that starts at 9:00 where I give him a bath and then rock him in the glider with some music then put him down to sleep. That's been going really well, especially considering that before, he would only nurse to sleep. Well, he's been waking up at around 1:30-2:00 am. I then take him in to use the potty, but he doesn't want to use it even though he has to go. He'll...