or Connect

Posts by acannon

My LO goes standing up all the time. It was pretty easy to teach him. I got him a potty chair with a removable bowl and one time, when he started going, I hurried and put the bowl in front of the stream and caught it. He was amazed, and he's been peeing that way ever since. It's really great, especially out in public, because I can stand him on the back of a normal-sized toilet and he'll go. I don't have to hold him over it or sit on it with him, and I don't have to bring...
I need advice on how to get my son to take his medication. He's on Zyrtec. The first time I gave it to him, he seemed fine with it, but now, he refuses to take it. I tried giving him some tonight but he got upset, causing him to aspirate it and choke. He's fine now, though. Is there an easier way to do this? How do you all get your kids to take their medications?
My little guy is only 11 months old but he's already acting like a typical toddler. He's walking, wants to do everything himself, and he has mood swings and minor tantrums over things. I guess it's because he's finally starting to feel frustration over things that don't go his way and that's how he responds to it. What's the best way to deal with mood swings and frustration in a very young toddler? I try to explain why I'm doing whatever's frustrating him and that seems to...
Well, if you're too sensitive, then I am, too. I love the terminology he used. Asperger's "carriers" and "patients". I don't think even Autism Speaks has referred to autistic people as "carriers". Yuck.
I have AS and I am fairly certain that my son is not autistic. I sometimes get the feeling that my autistic quirks are hindering his development in certain areas, mostly socially. He will engage people on the bus or at the store, but it's mostly people who are much older than he is. I sometimes feel bad that he doesn't really get to play with kids who are around his age. I have one friend with a 14 month old, but that's it. He's a very social kid and always has been. He'll...
My LO will be 13 months old at the time of his next allergy appointment. Do they do food challenges with kids who are that little? He has a sensitivity to milk and is allergic to eggs. Has anyone been able to do a food challenge with a child under two? Did it help at all?
It's a possibility that she could have SPD. Some books that I recommend are The Out of Sync Child, Raising a Sensory Smart Child, and The Highly Sensitive Child. http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/ is a good site for further information.
So I took DS to the allergist for tests today and he is mildly allergic to egg. First of all, I'm not quite sure what "mildly allergic" means. Does that mean that he could have hives or gastrointestinal problems if he has eggs as opposed to breathing problems? The allergist didn't explain that and I didn't think to ask. Another thing, he has a lot of allergies/sensitivities for a breastfed kid; milk, cats, and eggs so far. Not surprising, since a lot of both DH's and my...
I found a few pairs at Gymboree. I went to TRU today but they didn't really have any clothes. I might go to BRU later this week, though.
Neurodiversity.com is a good site, as is autistics.org. The first site has a list of recommended books. Mostly, I would just type in "neurodiversity" into a search engine and see what you get. Some more good materials are books and blogs written by autistic people, like Jerry and Mary Newport, Amanda Baggs, Jim Sinclair, and any of the authors on autistics.org. Temple Grandin is another author to look for if you are more into the accepting the diagnosis and not...