or Connect

Posts by starling&diesel

We're homeschoolers! So is @seraf, and she has oodles of experience homeschooling/unschooling. As for how 'lesbian families homeschool' ... no clue. I imagine as differently as every other kind of family. I have yet to meet any kind of family that homeschools the same way! i am the WAHP in our house (work at home parent) and DP works full time. I'm definitely the one in charge of the kids' learning, and how it happens, or doesn't happen. We do project-based homeschooling,...
That sounds hard, mama. I'm so sorry that your son is struggling. My 5yo daughter is awash in anxiety/depression and has been since the moment she was born. We work with a pediatrician and psychologist closely. I'm not sure what difference age makes in the matter of soldiering on with an activity/pursuit that causes/worses his anxiety, but I do want to say that I would take a 'break' from gymnastics, were I you. We do control our daughter's environment, and remove most...
Hi Erin ... We've been taking out the pages and slipping then into a page protector so E can use dry erase markers. I don't know if this is ideal, because she sometimes wipes off the work she just did, but she seems to prefer it to 'messing' up when she tries to fit the numbers into the box. Like you, I'm not into the workbooks at all, but she sometimes chooses those to work on. I had hopes (with the page protector) that we could use the pages for H too, but E is...
Hi all! Everr ... I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! How troubling, and hard on the heart and head. I so hope things start looking up. Way up, Mama! Mal ... I think of you often. And I hope things are starting to feel easier somehow. Nilla ... I remember that stage of pregnancy well, when the days crawled by by the weeks seemed to go pretty fast. I hope it's the same for you and that you're holding your baby soon, soon, soon! But not too soon. Sue ... You're baby...
We love WHAT MAKES A BABY, by Cory SilverbergWe love WHAT MAKES A BABY, by Cory Silverberg No genders are attached to the bodies. The author talks about some bodies having sperm and some bodies having eggs, and how people who want to make a baby need an egg and sperm. The pictures are gender neutral, mostly, and totally inclusive. Works even for our very queer Pomo story (adopted embryos from another queer couple, my DP is genderqueer)
This would be kid. I cannot fathom how she'd still have the mental and emotional stamina to anything that she wanted to do after school.Sounds like you are doing exactly what your kid needs. Right on!
Lots of useful information, Miranda! Thanks!
Oh, ERIN! HEXAFLEXAGONS would be PERFECT for K! It would combine his mad origami skills with math-y sorts of sensibilities!
Hi Erin! I don't think it's too early for your particular kid. Not at all. It's entirely in keeping with how K is and how he thinks and how he approaches new information that he's interested in. E has been doing mathseeds online, and is also getting really excited about numbers. I've been looking around at various approaches and philosophies about math, to see if we want to go down the road of formal curriculum or not. Not, so far. But I am going to look at the khan...
Hi boogalu ... coming into your thread to give it a wee bump! My situation is not similar to yours, but I can say that there are many single parents homeschooling in our homeschool/unschool community. And one friend of mine was in school doing her masters for several years at the same time. I hope others chime in with some insight from the trenches, as it were. Do you think you'll use a curriculum? Or something looser? If I were going to school myself, I think I'd like...