or Connect

Posts by starling&diesel

So great to have made a decision! And now the fun begins!
Jumping in on the books topic ... if you are the type of person whose anxiety heightens with too much information, feel free to not read anything. I've discovered that while books can be comforting, they can also introduce a lot of info that will be entirely irrelevant to your baby, which could again be different with subsequent babies. So long as you trust your practitioner to be helpful/supportive with getting good latches, technique, and building supply, I'd say put the...
That sounds hard, mama. I wouldn't move her out of the room. If need be, you could move her and your spouse to a different room. When our second one came, we spent about the first six months doing musical beds, with our older child with my partner, and me with the infant. After a while, we all ended up back in the same bedroom, with dd on a twin mattress at the foot of our bed. I'm sure she'd still love to sleep with one of her parents, and when baby comes, having her dad...
My 5yo has motor tics that come and go. Usually one goes on intermittently for months, and then stops and is replaced by another one. For example; jaw thrusting, touching her face in a pattern, swallowing, sniffing. She also has a few verbal ones. The one right now is, "Are you 500?" We're under the care of our beloved and very trusted pediatrician with regards to her anxiety and tics, and have been since she was three. He assures us that while tics are not typical,...
Mal, I am so sorry that you've lost your mother. My thoughts are with you. Be gentle with your bruised and tired heart, hon.
We're definitely a CC family! I often wish more people had read the Continuum Concept. It's been THE most valuable book I've read, and I'm so thankful to have found it before my kids were born. Both our kids have met milestones early. In fact, they both walked at ten months. That said, neither of them crawled or did much rolling over before that. They were both worn or held until about then.
QOTD: We started out saying NO GIFTS PLEASE, way back at the baby shower. I'd rather say that than lay out the parameters of what's okay in our house. When people insisted, we said we were saving up for a bike carrier and would love help with that. Later, when people insisted (and many did), it usually came along with the question, "What would you like for the baby/kids?" We'd tell them that we like books, art supplies, experiences, and contributions to their educational...
I think the popular idea that babies don't need to nurse through the night at a specific age is an idea that gets spun to support the whole 'sleep through the night' concept. Long after my kids 'needed' actual nourishment throughout the night, they still nursed at night. We cosleep, so night nursing is a super easy way to stay attached and maximize benefits of nursing. I had low supply, and did stop supplementing at night at 4 months, but both kids nursed bare and I...
Yep. Doc did a swab of H's cheek.
Tried both those, with no improvement. It's been weeks!