or Connect

Posts by starling&diesel

I wonder about magic shows. Do parents who so ardently uphold practical realism try to explain away the magic and point to the science and slight-of-hand, even while their child watches, slack-jawed with wonder? Are we worried about parents 'lying' about the source of the illusion? As an adult, I'm still awed by skilled illusionists, and I like to be awed and not understand working mechanisms that make it possible. Same with Cirque du Soleil. I'm awed by them, and I...
And I'm not "lumping" imaginary friends in with Santa. I see it as far more nuanced than chucking all the nebulous aspects of the imagination into a heap. I do see it as a spectrum though, and both are on it, in my mind. It makes sense to think of the bigger picture rather than cherry pick one's approach to the unseen -- and somewhat tenuous -- aspects of imaginary life, be it intrinsic or extrinsic.
It's definitely an interesting topic, serenbat. Perhaps worthy of it's own thread? I have lots of experience with imaginary friends. My daughter has had many, and I had more than my fair share as a child myself.
We sold our used dipes on our local homeschool listserv. Is there a parenting listserv in your area? I only charged $2 each, because they were second hand to us and well-used, but still in good shape with lots of life left. But we definitely needed to get some money for them. Every penny counts when you're skint.
We have a tiny home. It's on three floors, but each floor's footprint is extremely small, so we go out to avoid ending up in a tangled heap in the living room, where we spent the majority of our time. We go out most mornings, and are home by lunch for the day, with the rare exception of an errand or obligation. We have one scheduled 2hr class for DD, and no other official commitments. We spend A LOT of time at the park or beach. And by going 'out' I just mean outside...
Yes! I agree, which may seem odd. But we didn't tell our kids about Santa. Our eldest gleaned it from the outside world; storytime at the library, conversations at the park, decorations on the storefronts in our neighbourhood, the Christmas Fair in the local park, friends, family, grandparents, books, songs on the radio, questions about our families traditions, etc. Just like I didn't offer her fairies, either, but when she brought home a fairy bower that she'd made at...
Thanks, @beanma and @EnviroBecca ... It's so fascinating to see what other mamas do!
These are genuine questions for the No Santa Campers ... What do you do about imaginary friends? What do you do when your child puts a sign on your front door to keep out ghosts? What do you do when you child sees something that isn't there and insists that they did? What do you do about the afterlife? What do you do about 'visits' from loved ones who have died? What do you do when they ask about natural disasters? Murder? What do you do when your child wants to be a...
sillysapling: "I still find the idea incredibly creepy. He watches children sleep, sneaks into their house, controls their behavior, and has them sit on his lap in exchange for toys and candy. Oh, yeah, that's something I want to teach my child is okay." 1. I'd never suggest to my kids that anyone watches them sleep. Except me, maybe. And they're safe in bed with us, anyway. 2. Our idea of Santa has nothing to do with 'naughty or nice.' We don't up any ante or threaten...
We do Santa, and no, we're not lying to our children. No more than when we read fictional stories, play make believe, or leave out tiny presents for the fairies.We didn't bother with Santa at all until she was three and was 'getting it' from all around the community. At that point, DP and i decided to play along, and be honest when she inquired. At almost four, she asked if we believed in him. We said that so many people believing in the spirit of Christmas makes him...