or Connect

Posts by starling&diesel

Day in the life: We never sleep in. Never. But for some reason we all woke up when DP left for work at 445am. The kids went to the bathroom, then came back to bed. I rarely fall back to sleep once I've woken up that much, but after a while, the two kids were asleep again, and I must've fallen back to sleep because when we woke up, it was 830am. On the one day a week that we have a commitment outside the house. Starting at 0900 across the city. And it snowed. In...
If we're talking penetration, a pillow or two wedged under the preggo one's butt works wonders when she's on the bottom. Being on top is awesome when bellies get way big. Also, from behind. Pregnant sex rocks!
Yay for baby boys! Your kids will quickly get over it. Tell them they can pretend he's a girl all they want. It'll be so short-lived. As for your supervisor, she doesn't matter one iota in this equation. And I'll say it again, loudly and proudly announce to all asunder that you plan on working until you are actually labouring. And smile when you say it. xo Cindy ... We're putting my mom up for a week in Mexico. Mostly as a thank you for all the free childcare, but we'd...
My new audio story website has queer families! Linky-poo in my signature. We LOVE "What Makes a Baby"... I could go on and on about YA books, but will have to come back to do that. Need to go switch the laundry to the dryer.
How wonderful that Erin and Cindy got to meet! I so wish I'd been able to make it Bellingham. Erin, do you bring the kids with you to your presentations? Esmé is just about ready to come with me to my author talks, save for a couple of issues. I talk very frankly about my own highschool years when I go into highschools, and that involves subject matter that's not appropriate for her to hear. But she really would like to come with me on my trips, so I wonder about...
So glad to hear that Z is thriving! QOTD: When E was 4 months old, we moved from a small mountain town to Vancouver, where I didn't know another single soul who was a parent. And, truthfully, friendships change when you have kids and your buddies don't. In those early months it's easy to think that things will stay the same, when you can meet at the coffee shop with baby snuggled quietly asleep in a wrap while you drink a latte and play Banangrams (might just be...
Thanks for your posts, Adina. I agree, ommunication is key! When it come down to it, these are two mamas who are far from home and family, and who could probably very much use a friend. I hope the OP had a chance to sort things out, and that the two women were able to figure out a way to be supportive of each other.
Granite ... That's a hard struggle, hon. My nursing challenges were devastating, after gleefully thinking that BFing would be the easiest part of newborn parenting. If you end up needing to supplement long term and you want to keep Z exclusively at the breast, PM me and I can give you the run down about what worked for me. We're big fans of the Lact-Aid nursing system, and detest the Medlea SNS.
If you're looking at a short term solution, and anticipate not needing an SNS long term, there are youtube videos on how to make your own. Pretty neat!
Lact-Aid will ship, although it might be steep. It was pricey to get then to ship to Canada too, but so worth it. We also found a few sets on Craigslist. The medela was clunky and the suction was testy. It wasn't discreet, either, and I wanted to be comfortable nursing in public without having to answer questions constantly. I loved that I could nurse lying down with the LA too. I love that the suction is consistent, and that it also maximizes and supports building...