or Connect

Posts by laurelg

I know there's a million and a half of these threads, but I wanted to get my own thoughts out, so I hope y'all don't mind another. My daughter is 21.5 months old. Ideally, I wanted to nurse until at least two, but I am having hardcore aversions and just can't stand it anymore. (No, definitely not pregnant.) We were already down to nursing maybe once a day, but I don't feel like I can continue even that much. I have tried talking to her about her latch, and now she even...
First contractions were at 2:30am, after we finished watching Terminator 3.
We have from day 1 as well, on a Tempurpedic.
I just wanted to chime in that I, too, felt like I was buying insurance for my midwife's skills and expertise. I was a very low-maintenance client, very rarely called my midwife, had my daughter on her due date - the MWs were at my house for less than 12 hours. I knew when I signed on with my midwife that I would be paying the full fee for her services, regardless of what actually happened. I knew her services to me could range anywhere between doula in the event of an...
Try keeping the litterbox very, very clean.
Thank you all for your replies. I appreciate both your tactful tactics and honesty about your no-go issues. The more I reflect, the more I feel like rather than having a hard and fast litmus test for clients, I'd be able to take the advice given here and basically state my positions as what I support and leave it up to them to agree or not - or to choose me as their doula or not. Thanks again!
I just wanted to thank everyone for the civil tone here and opening my eyes about appropriate reasons to use a kid leash. Until I read this thread, I was 100% opposed to them and thought they were degrading. Of course, I've seen them wildly misused by neglectful and borderline abusive parents, so that didn't give me a good impression. Having it framed as an alternative to being unwillingly carried or strapped in a stroller, plus the discomfort of holding hands for...
They can and will fine you, and if you have any question about the seriousness of money owed to your HOA... http://motherjones.com/politics/2010...tion-foreclose I honestly don't think I'd live in an HOA neighborhood if you gave me the house for FREE. There's nothing "dream" about a house governed by all that b.s., in my opinion!
I've been interested into getting into birth work for a few years, and after my own home birth last year I'm getting more serious about it. I'm contemplating going forth with doula training/certification, and seeing where things take me from there. My question, for those of you in the birth profession, is this: How do you (if you do) overcome your personal opinions on birth and childrearing issues? I've been working on becoming a more accepting and tolerant person, in...
I was absolutely, 100% without-a-doubt committed to providing breastmilk, by whatever means necessary, as the bulk of DD's nutrition until at least age 1. Between 1 and 2 (she's 13.5mos now), I've planned to be somewhat flexible and follow her lead, while understanding it's unlikely she'll wean herself, and that it doesn't hurt to offer. I am open to breastmilk fading into 2nd place, nutrition-wise, and also to her learning other comfort mechanisms. That said, I am...