or Connect

Posts by April422

I guess I'll buck the trend and say that having a baby (even a surrogate baby) to "heal" or "have" the birth experience of your dreams is a very unfair pressure to place on the pregnancy and more importantly the baby. If it all goes to heck again, then what? If you are passionate about helping someone create or expand their family, great! But don't go into it as the means to an end in seach of a "birth experience."
In my opinion and experience a lot of it has to do with programming. The messages these women have received for years about how bad birth has to be. When I see clients who don't have this programming, who tell me "In my family we just go have babies." they tend to achieve their goals. They haven't made an agreement that labor must be painful, unbearable, something that can't be achieved without drugs and intervention. I also see women struggle to overcome the "dr or...
Quote: Originally Posted by ewilkins_doula Yeah, I totally see all of your guys' point. And I totally get that it's out of DONA's scope of practice. I just have a slight fear that I'll have a client laboring at home who's baby will have low heartbeat and be giving in distress and I won't know about it...But there are lots of doula's out there that don't use them...so I guess it's alright? Why is it your responsibility to know how their baby...
Quote: Originally Posted by HappyMommy2 I don't understand why "this kind" of birth wouldn't count? I am imagining the kids will want to be near me as much as usual...??? And a doula wouldn't mind a big fat naked mama running around like a baby sitter would!! For certification purposes with most orgs your primary role is direct support of the mom, not babysitting. So unless she manipulated her birth notes and narrative the birth wouldn't...
If I was a student I wouldn't agree. I couldn't use the birth for certification purposes because my primary role was childcare, not mother support. Now you might be able to find a postpartum doula who is certifying and that might work for her situtation.
Consider this? http://www.nurturingheartsbirthservices.com/blog/?p=967
Painless Childbirth and Calm Birth are two great ones to add to the Buckley book.
Another factor everyone is leaving out (or I've missed it entirely) is how our birthing practices contribute to shoulder dystocias. Supine positions, epidurals, etc. Further control for those factors and the risk can be reduced. I'd never have an elective cesarean for a suspected or even "confirmed" LGA baby. There's also some room for debate about a "diabetic" who is diet controlled only, vs a true diabetic who requires insulin, etc. If your "diabetes" is controlled...
When I was part of a hospital program, yes, I signed a confidentiality form. For a doula in the community it makes no sense. Have you shown the director of OB the HIPAA form you have your clients sign as a DONA doula? Perhaps that would aleviate any concern they have.
Quote: Originally Posted by Carita any tips if/when they deny the claim? They'll usually deny it, out of hand. I always encourage clients to appeal and I'm willing to write a supplemental letter outlining the ways in which I saved the insurance company money.