or Connect

Posts by pear-shaped

17 items of clothing 2 slipcovers   1292
Just a curiosity. I've been wondering what other people do for a while but I kept forgetting to post the question.   Background: We do OPOL; I speak English to dd (3) and my husband speaks Italian to her. We live in Italy. I'm fluent in Italian, and it's the language dh and I use to speak to one another. I correct the mistakes dd makes in English, not always, but if she makes the same one repeatedly, I will. Sometimes she makes mistakes in Italian when dh isn't...
ugly tray sugar bowl   1273
repurposed a souvenir t-shirt I've never worn but couldn't part with (I've had it for 7-8 years) into a dress for dd repurposed an old pair of dh's trousers into trousers for dd   1271
At home I don't think anyone uses tp to dry off. There are special bidet-sized towels, which are a little bit larger than face cloths, but rectangular. I've always wondered about the family aspect myself, because I always see only one towel near bidets. (Of course, that's the case at our house too, because the rack above the bidet really holds only one towel. I just put my towel on a different rack that has more space.) We use different colored towels so they don't get...
OMG, a bidet thread! We have a bidet in each of our bathrooms. They are a must-have here in Italy; I have heard of foreigners being advised not to redo bathrooms without them because it could cause eventual resale problems. I don't know a single Italian who doesn't use the bidet. Well, I assume that everyone I know does because it's just inconceivable here that someone wouldn't...Italians think people who don't use them are, um, dirty.   I use the bidet from time to...
easter basket dd made at preschool (does that make me a mean mommy?) 2 expired pantry items notes for a blog post that I posted last year some old recipe clippings piece of sea glass misc. old receipts broken toy set of pastels ruined by dd 3 water bottles   1269
Quote: Yes, apparently there had been some improvement in the status of Italian women in the twentieth century but from the 80s (I think) and 90s on, they've lost some ground, largely due to the image of women put forth in the media, which is dominated by the current prime minister, Berlusconi. Just to give you an idea of we have to deal with here, he once responded to a question about an increase in rapes of women by saying that Italy had too many beautiful women for...
7 shirts 3 trousers pinafore shorts hoodie 2 coats snowpants mittens 2 hats leg warmers bathing suit pair of baby slippers pair of booties bag of baby hair clips baby bloomers 2 onesies sleeper pajama bottoms pillowcase   1257
  Yes, but I'm hoping it doesn't encourage me to keep up old habits. But to be honest, I've learned so much from doing this challenge about what gets used eventually and what doesn't.     Quote: I thought we were the only ones with multiple broken irons! We have two right now, one that doesn't work at all (dh has been meaning to fix it for a few months,) and another that heats up but doesn't make steam. And I tossed another really old crusty one back in January or...