or Connect

Posts by rainbringer

Dd did a lot of echolalia at that age, and outgrew it after a few years.  I remember using a book called More Than Words to help her with speech, I think it addressed echolalia, it definitely had suggestions for helping with pronoun confusion.  None of the speech therapists we saw seemed to have any suggestions.   
My daughter has many issues, including oppositonal behavior.  She ended up with an ASD diagnosis from a developmental pediatrician.  If I could have that $1000 back, I would spend it on visits to a naturopathic doctor.  I find they really look at causes rather than the label and it has been the most helpful for us.  The diagnosis has been useful to us at times, but I do feel our best use of time and money has been looking into biomedical causes.   
Does she have teeth coming in?  My daughter hasn't bitten anyone when her teeth are coming in but she does chew on things a lot, even at nine  - maybe the need to chew plus an overstimulating evening caused her to do that.  
Sounds exactly like what we are going through.  We are trying to stick to one on one playdates as much as possible, I think the dynamic of three kids just doesn't work well.  Of course that is hard to avoid if you all live near each other.   
Some books we've been enjoying  are Encyclopedia Brown, Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid.  Hope that helps.  
I had this happen to me  last year - I can't remember where I found this remedy, probably on this site somewhere, but I cut an onion in half, warmed it up a little in the microwave and then held it to my ear.  It felt so good!
I think there are some picture books about autism - maybe that would be a good way to talk to him about it?  I remember when I told family about the diagnosis and ended up feeling hurt, as they did not seem to believe it.  Looking back, I realize they did care but it is a grieving process for them as well (especially the grandparents), and takes some time for them to accept.  So when you tell people, try to prepare yourself for less than sensitive responses, and seek out...
Thanks for the responses!  Yes, it seems by this age the girls are harder to direct and able to be more subtle when they exclude someone.  I notice it, but I think a lot of the other parents don't.  I will try to see if the main girl can come for a playdate.  When I've asked in the past, they are always busy or something comes up.  : (  And I will try to avoid them, however since the girls are in some of the same activities I am sure we will still see them sometimes.  I...
We keep running into situations where a girl will take a dislike to dd (fair enough, not everyone has to like each other), but then influences other kids to not want to play with her either.  Dd does have some social skills issues but many kids seem to like playing with her.  Fitting into groups is hard though.  She has taken social skills classes, we work on this all the time at home as well.  Often I just try to avoid the girls who do this, but I am not sure this is...
I often find that if I start playing something fun with dd, the other kids will come join in, especially at that age.  Outside, things like hide and seek, tag, parachute play are good, indoors an art project or game.  I agree to try to strengthen her friendships with the other kids in the group, and reduce time there if possible.