or Connect

Posts by Christian_mom

Jeannie, thank you for your reply.   The reason why she is failing school is because, according to her, she doesn't want to do the work.  She's very bright but has just given up.  I think it's due to her mom sleeping whenever she is stressed, upset, etc. and not paying attention to her because she (her mom) has given up.  I guess there is no reason to do anything if the result is the same at home.   I'm not really sure how long the arrangement will be.  I figure...
I have a half sister (we have the same dad) who lives two states away.  I am in my late 20's, married and have a 4 and 7 year old children.  I met my half sister only once when she was 4/5 years old (due to distance).  I have maintained a phone/Facebook/letter writing relationship with my sister and her mom since then.  My dad and my sister's mom are divorced and have been for a decade.   A couple weeks ago, my sister's mom asked if my sister could come live with...
Hi, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but I couldn't find anything by searching. I was wondering if anyone could recommend or comment on using either a Brita or Pur water filter (the pitcher type). I e-mailed Brita and they said their pitchers were made from NAS (a Styrene based plastic) or SAN (Styrene Acrylonitrile) but do not contain BPA. I'm concerned with the plastic type they use and leaching. We have city water and a friend of mine has a Brita pitcher...
Prior to my first pregnancy when I developed an allergy to shrimp (presumably all shellfish), I had had no known allergies. Now, almost seven years later, I've developed an allergy to pomegranates and within the month, an allergy to kiwi. My allergies to shrimp, pomegranates, and kiwi are all similar- my mouth, throat, and sometimes tongue gets bumpy and I can feel bumps or swelling in my throat when I swallow. I have not had shrimp, pomegranates, or kiwi since I...
I know weatherization does energy audits and will replace inefficient furnaces. The question is, will they do it on an emergency basis. I've been on their waiting list for two years! I will be calling first thing in the morning.
There is a nearby chapter. I will contact them tomorrow. Thank you, I otherwise would not have considered Habitat for Humanity.
We're a family of four (two small children) living in NW Indiana (think Chicago weather). My husband is unemployed, his unemployment is on hold, and we have no income (unless you count foodstamps). Our boiler (furnace) is broke beyond repair and we need a new one. The cost for a new boiler with installation is in the 5-6k dollar range. (And it would be even more to convert to forced air because we don't have the duct work for it). Does anyone know of any...
Quote: Originally Posted by Twocoolboys First, How Fun! That sounds like a great project/job! One of our local papers has a high school sports column that's written by a local high school student. Maybe you could invite high school students to submit and write a regular column and/or articles. Also, maybe you could have a monthly section with ideas and local activities that families could do with kids. I would love to do something like...
I recently purchased a monthly newspaper of sorts (although it's more of a news digest) that is specific to the small town I live in. Three hundred copies are printed each month and about two hundred of those are mailed to subscribers with the remaining issues sold at local businesses here in town. My first issue will be printed mid-June and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas to add to the paper. The paper focuses on things that happen to local people, includes...
I'm looking to buy custom reusable bags with our town's name and logo and blank cloth farmer's market bags to sell (for a low cost) at our town's farmer's market this year. I should mention our entire town population is around 1,000. Most of the places I've looked require an insane amount of bags to be purchased (like 250+) and/or the bags are almost $2.00 each! I can't seem to find affordable larger quantities of reusable produce bags anywhere. Does anyone have...