or Connect

Posts by TheWAHMMall

I had hard water at my previous home. My whites came out dingy because it wasn't rinsing out the soap, leaving soap scum residue. Vinegar rinse didn't help either. I had to use Calgon water conditioner. At my new place where the water is not so hard, I have no issues.
I've been playing with no-poo for the last 2.5 years. So far, this is what I do: 1T baking soda 1T white vinegar (alkaline shampoo causes dandruff) A tad (1/4 tsp) natural conditioner Fill 8oz cup with water Slowly dump over my head, massage well, rinse, and follow up with natural conditioner. I sometimes add a bit of TTO, lavender, and peppermint EOs.
My furnace filter is made to trap dust particles and dander. I want to say it's made by 3M, and it's only about $3/each at Home Depot. It says it lasts for 3 months, but I change it every month in the winter and every 2-3 in the summer. I have an ionic breeze (2 actually). They have oxygen converters on them now. It works really good - when I used to run a humidifier without a filter, it produced so much white dust that it clogged my ionic breeze in 1 day! So I know it...
I'm surprised no one mentioned homemade laundry detergent! It costs pennies a gallon. I use recipe #1 http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/arti...etergent.shtml You can usually find Fels Naptha and washing soda at grocery stores, not major dept stores like Walmart or Target. You can use Ivory soap instead of Fels Naptha too.
Do you use straight BS to wash, or do you dilute it? Someone here posted a while back that alkaline shampoos can cause dandruff. I had minor dandruff problem when I was using straight BS. So what I do now is put about a tablespoon each of BS and white vinegar, let it fizz, add a touch (1/4 tsp or so) of natural conditioner, and add enough water to almost fill my 8oz cup. I slowly pour it over my head and massage scalp with my finger pads. The conditioner somehow...
For me, getting rid of all products helped! I eventually found out that a lot of stuff was clogging my pores. Like cetyl and stearl alcohols, which are fats, are found in a lot of products. Olive oil, castor oil, and jojoba clogged my pores too. Here's a comedogenicity chart for a lot of common products: http://www.dermadoctor.com/pages/newsletter158.asp Anything 2 and above are bad for me. So I do a modified version of OCM with olive squalane and vitamin E, tone...
Yes, lemon juice rinse is essential. Because baking soda is alkaline (so is tap water to prevent pipe corrosion), you need a slightly acidic rinse to get your hair's pH back to its normal state. So diluting BS with water will cut down the alkalinity, it is still alkaline. When I used to do lemon juice rinse, I poured it over my head. You can try letting the BS/water mixture sit in your hair for a few minutes. This made a lot of difference.
I use oil too and wait 5-10 min. You can try finishing powder as primer too, depending on what's in it. Is the makeup not lasting? If so, FP with kaolin clay would adhere better. Don't use it if you have very dry skin though. Does it look too powdery? Then yes, moisturizer would make a lot of difference. You can also try the wet application method. It might not work for all MMUs. http://www.ktnaturals.com/index.php?main_page=page_2#q1 Here's more MMU...
It's actually a good way to alternate between shampoo and no-poo until your oil production slows down. You can also mix BS with shampoo and decrease the amount of shampoo each time. I went cold turkey from daily shampooing to no-pooing. My scalp was greasy for a month! I finally figured out that I needed to let the BS sit in my hair for a while to let it work at the grease. Right now, I use about a tablespoon of BS, white vinegar, and a dab of natural conditioner and...
How about water-only wash? As long as you use a wash cloth or the like to exfoliate your skin, it might work for you.