or Connect

Posts by zombie

Here is an interview with her.  I was not impressed.  She seems fairly clueless about foster care adoption. http://www.creatingafamily.org/radioplayer.html?file_name=Nia-Vardalos-Interview.mp3&year=2013%20&day=April%2010:&title=Interview%20with%20actress%20Nia%20Vardalos
You should be able to adopt from foster care, if you are up for that roller coaster.  I know people much older and (probably) poorer than you who have adopted from foster care.
Here is a link to an excellent podcast with a feeding doctor about food issues in adopted kids:    http://www.creatingafamily.org/radioplayer.html?file_name=Food-Issues-Adoptive-Children.mp3&year=2013%20&day=March%206:&title=Food%20Issues%20with%20Adopted%20Children   Also, for exercise, we used to keep a small plastic slide and an exercise trampoline in the living room so the little ones could get some exercise even if they couldn't go outside.   I hope...
It might help to encourage the mom to take care of herself.  Maybe some respite care so she gets some breaks from the really hard behaviors.  A support group with other moms who have been there could be really encouraging.  
Interracial Intimacies http://www.amazon.com/Interracial-Intimacies-Marriage-Identity-Adoption/dp/0375702644/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351734415&sr=8-1&keywords=interracial+intimacies has a chapter on transracial adoption, that I think is the best out of anything I have read.  I am not sure how helpful it would be for your specific situation though.
Congrats on getting selected!  I hope you are able to come to a decision that you feel sure about, one way or the other.  I don't know what "exposure related issue" you are dealing with, but you may want to consider his issue in context of his history and home environment.  I would be more concerned about issues in a child that has been very well cared for since birth than in a child that was in crappy homes.  One child I had was prenatally exposed to several serious...
Where I live, all that has to happen is the parents say that you are a godparent, and then you are considered family, and you can take the kid without your license.  My neighbors were not foster parents.  One day they suddenly became the "godparents" of a 16 year old foster child that they knew and she moved in with them.  A few months later, the state made them take a few classes.  Not sure about the reimbursement money.  In my previous state, they would have been...
I used to know a lady from a different African country.  I was surprised when she brought up adoptive breastfeeding to me like it was the most natural thing in the world.  She said that is was really common where she was from.  She said there is some tree root there that women take to make milk when they have to care for someone else's baby.  You might try talking to the locals to see if they can recommend something.   If you are interested in the domperidone, you can...
I've never been pregnant, and I was able to induce lactation for my adopted daughter.  Domperidone and lots of pumping made the milk.  Herbs did nothing for me.  After a few months, I was able to go off the domperidone and keep my milk supply up until my daughter weaned a few years later.  There is a lot of info if you do a forum search on "induced lactation" or "breastfeeding adopted baby".   Good luck.
I would suggest that you go with IA.  It is hard to find a straight adoptive placement in MO, and would be really hard with your narrow criteria.  It would probably take years, and you would have no guarantee that it would happen at all.  From what I hear, adoption from Russia is pretty quick, but it is really expensive.