or Connect

Posts by Judy Arnall

Hi Kristina: Thank you for writing.  Your 16 month-old is still a baby and because you are about to give birth to a sibling, he is going to need his attachment people, (you and your partner) more than ever.  When change happens in the family, children naturally feel insecure, and they absolutely need familiarity and comfort to help them feel more secure during a time of change and especially during the first three months of welcoming a new baby.  Under age three, most...
Chuckle!  I have to post this because it's unusual - my hubby and I were driving back our university son to residence and the roads were icy.  I wanted him to slow down and promise not to go over a certain speed.  He promised to drive safely but not to be pinned to a certain speed.  Well, things heated up.  I decided to stop and just listen to him.  Then I reflected back his feelings.  It worked! We got to more "feeling" talk and resolved a few things.  He listened...
My new years resolution is to stop nagging my partner on how I think he should parent. Even though my kids are ages 22 to 11, I still feel that I lean too heavily on him.  Any tips you have found helpful to back off?  :-)
Hi Parents Here is a video from myself and a respected dietitian about best practices for handling "the stash"! http://www.albertaprimetime.com/Stories.aspx?pd=5756 Now, to go find my hidden chocolate supply in the laundry room! (It's called the 'mom tax') Judy
Hi all: This new parent-friendly video shows how brains develop and how much good parenting matters. http://www.albertafamilywellness.org/resources/video/how-brains-are-built-core-story-brain-development Enjoy! -Judy
Dr. Gary Chapman wrote the book about Love Languages of Parenting.  The five love languages are 1.  Physical Touch 2.  Words 3.  Gifts 4.  Acts of Service 5.  Time together   Lets share on a) How do you show love to your children in your language? and b) How does your child(ren) show love to you in their language?   Being a mom, I do ALOT of "acts of service", as any mom does! Gee, motherhood is one big long "act of service" sometimes. But being that...
Yes!  They do that too!
What do Peggy O'Mara (Mothering), Naomi Aldort (Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves), Alfie Kohn (Unconditional Parenting), Michael Gurian (Boys and Girls Learn Differently), and Judy Arnall (Discipline Without Distress) have in common?  They are all featured speakers at this FREE  21 day telesummit aimed to promote relationship building parenting practices and knowledge.  Register now at http://www.relationshipbasedparenting.com/JudyArnall or the shorter link ...
Hi Cynthia: This was a special one-time webinar for Scholars Choice.  We offer them weekly on Wednesdays (Webinar Wednesdays) at Attachment Parenting Canada Association, the non-profit organization dedicated to information, support and advocacy for parents and caregivers.  We charge a nominal fee to cover the platform and web interface.  There are all kinds of topics from babies to teens, and people can purchase copies if they can't make the...
Off camping today, but will post next week on Love Languages. Have a great weekend.