or Connect

Posts by sweetpeppers

This tribe caught my eye, because as I plan on unschooling my son, I've read many books on the topic. And I found that there was a very real de-jobbing (like they say new unschoolers from traditional school need a de-schooling period) time after I had my son. I had always gone to school and worked, and while I was a fairly creative person, I had been stuck in the other-directed lifestyle. After I had my son, I decided I wasn't going back to work (I'm single), and so I...
I think the problem is that parents set themselves up as the enemy (though that's too strong a word from what I mean). I would have loved to have a closer connection with my parents growing up as a teenager, but it was always us against them. We snuck around to do what we wanted because we knew it wouldn't be allowed or we would get in trouble or they would take the teacher's side or ours, etc. They weren't bad parents, and I never did anything "bad" just stuff they...
hi, I'm 6 foot, 135 too! I used to have really long hair and I would wear it up in a pony tail and then braid it, then the next day,  when the braid was getting messy, i would put it into a messy bun. but then i decided to live on the road for a while so I got my hair cut really short, since I wouldn't be able to shower as much. i do enjoy it short, but now that i'm back in a house, i'm growing it out. while i almost always wear it up, i like the option of having it...
shoe goo and sand, huh? interesting...
I don't think you need to make kids say hi or thank you or anything. That puts pressure on them, and then they REALLY don't want to talk. If someone gives my son something, and he doesn't say thank you, I just say thank you. sometimes this reminds him and then he'll say it after me. As far as manners go, I think the most important thing in getting kids to have good manners is having good manners yourself.
Sheets! lol, I just thought of this when I saw someone talking about using tablecloths. Sheets are WONDERFUL sources of good natural fabrics. You can get them from the thrift store or even Organic cotton sheets fairly cheaply. That's a lot of fabric. I also like to use recycled sweaters. Cashmere is my favorite for making kids winter clothes out of, but wool is good for tons of stuff. When I have another baby, I'll have to learn how to make my own diapers.
I think getting sick has more to do with diet and lifestyle factors. I know when we were kids, we were vaccinated, but we were never sick. We ate a mostly plant based diet (my dad was a vegetarian so we ate a lot of vegetables) with very little sugar and "snack" foods. We were also homeschooled for the first few years, and we did get sick more when we went to school. I'm guessing that school sickness are not just induced by germs, but also less sleep and extra stress,...
I'll keep my answer short: no! :)
Just tell them that you want your child to spend time with them. If they want to watch TV, they can do it on their own time. You aren't there to watch TV. (as nicely as possible) Bring things to do. Special toys, games, books, suggest outdoor activities, puzzles. I think you need to make it clear that they are not to turn on the TV for him. Children's programming is just awful.   My mom was saying that she wanted to go see one of the Narnia movies and she was...
There's always homeschool. Even if you are single you could have someone else do a lot of the "schooling" (which isn't much at this age). Also I think that some waldorf schools have like scholarships. I am a single mother, and I know how hard it is. But if you don't want your kids in public school, do everything you can to keep them out. I think traditional schooling is pretty awful, so I'm not going to send my son to school. We'll be homeschooling though, because...