or Connect

Posts by kythe

Somewhere I had heard that formula had its first surge of popularity during WW2 when women were entering the work force en masse for the first time. Alternate feeding methods - as well as child care - became necessary as women took over the jobs men once had while the men were off to war. However, my dad was born in 1934 during the Great Depression. His mother was from a well-to-do family who had lost everything and became homeless in the economy crash. She breastfed...
I like Ron/Hermoine. Personality-wise, they do balance each other out well. They make a good team since they have different strengths and weaknesses, but also have some chemistry. I don't think Harry was ever attracted to Hermoine. She's always been "just a friend" to him. I'm always interested in hearing an author's thoughts, but in this case I agree with her written decision. Ron and Hermoine do well together.
When my kids were babies, I tried to meet all their needs through breastfeeding, cosleeping, and wearing/carrying. As they grew, I tried to give them as many different experiences as I could. This meant involvement in different types of sports, frequent trips to the zoo and museums, and other community activities. Now my oldest is 13 and has recently said she feels like she has already "done everything". Activities she has done and places we used to go no longer...
How the heck are they going to regulate this? Make women breastfeed at their child's doctor's check-ups or something, just to prove they are still breastfeeding? Or take milk samples? I can see so many ways women can get around this anyway. We would have violated this law. I weaned my firstborn around 15-16 months or so because i was pregnant and my milk dried up, and breastfeeding became extremely painful. She did start again after the birth though, so technically...
I was a SAHM until my kids were 18 months old and 3 years old, when we divorced and I was forced to work for a living. I also felt that although I had online support, it was definatly hard to find "real life" AP support. Even though I'm the sole provider in my family, I still occasionally meet SAHM's who have made comments that still imply working is somehow a "choice". I've heard, "that's why we stayed together" and "I know so-and-so who homeschooled even though she...
What are you trying to learn from online stories? You don't really get more factual than the official height/weight charts... I don't remember my 11 year old son's height off the top of my head, but he is the shortest kid in his class despite having been held back a grade. He only weighs 67 lbs. He is FTT or "failure to thrive" because he is off the growth charts for both height and weight. He's always had a small growth rate, and he has been off the charts twice...
Yes, it sounds legal. For all the "recommendations" about breastfeeding from medical organizations like the AAP and WHO, I don't believe there are any actual laws defining breastfeeding rights. Women nursing in public are protected from public nudity laws, but that seems to be the extent of the legal protection around breastfeeding.
I second the idea that he might not be ready. I gave my son his first lego set at age 7, and he was not able to complete it without help. It took practice for him to get to where he could follow the pictoral directions, and some pieces really require a certain level of motor control to be able to connect them without them breaking apart. He used to scream in frustration when he couldn't make his piece look like the picture. But he has a determined personality that...
My second child is autistic, but I truly believe that in our case it is genetic. My brother and uncle are both high functioning autistics, and clearly they were born before this apparant increase in autistic children. I have never recieved a vaccine while pregnant or breastfeeding, and delayed vaccines for my kids. I actually had the flu while pregnant with my oldest, but she is neurotypical and has never had any problems. My son has had a myriad of issues from milk...
The birth center where I had both of my babies gave us a list of local birth center-friendly pediatricians - and it was several pages long. This is because they had a policy that required babies to have their first pediatrician check-up before discharge, so they kept track of which doctors were willing to do rounds there. They also were very open about publishing their statistics on hospital transfers for both mothers and babies, and the reasons why. Does your...