or Connect

Posts by kythe

I had a physical aversion to nursing when I was pregnant, and I weaned my daughter completely until after my new baby was born (though she started nursing again after the birth - we tandemed for a while).As my milk dried up during pregnancy, breastfeeding became so uncomfortable it was painful. Not like a "real" pain, more like upset nerves. It was like being tickled so much it "hurts", or like when you sit on your foot and it falls asleep. I got to where any contact...
I'm an LPN and I've worked in long-term care (nursing homes) for 6 years now. Many men in nursing homes today are intact, particularly those born in the 1930's, during the Great Depression, because many families could not afford to circumcise at that time. I've never *personally* seen any man have problems with his foreskin, or have I heard any of my aides complain that they are dirty or hard to clean (I would be addressing that issue if it came up ). To me it seems...
I have a great little book with photos of breastfeeding children (including EBF) called "Near Mama's Heart" by Colleen Newman, but it seems to be out of print now. Some books you can find on amazon.com include: Mama's Milk by Michael Elsohn Ross I'm made of Mama's Milk by Mary Olsen We Like to Nurse by Chia Martin ETA: Near Mama's Heart can be found on youtube! http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vekXYvKo0uk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvekXYvKo0uk
I have an 11 year old autistic son who has difficulty relating to other people and animals. He is very protective of his personal space and his things, to a point that he screams, kicks, or hits anything that gets in his way, including guests who are unaware of his issues, and family pets. I try to model for him how to ask people to move nicely, and how to direct pets without the aggression, but he does not get it. To him, he wants people to leave him alone and when he...
Sorry I didn't respond before your daughter's surgery, but I wanted to sympathise. My son had his tonsils and adenoids removed when he was 3, and he had a hard time with the surgery. Since they call it "ambulatory surgery", I thought it would be an in-and-out procedure, but he spent 2 days after in the hospital on IV's because he refused to eat because his throat hurt. He never vomitted blood, but he did have the worst nosebleed I ever saw a few days later when the...
My daughter has always had male friends. When she was little they would "play". Now they "hang out". When she was 12, she went on a "date" with her friend whom she had been "hanging out" with since 4th grade. His dad came over and invited her to dinner at Subway with their family, so she went on a "date" with him - and his dad and his younger brother! I don't know when she will start having real boyfriends, but so far she just hangs out with her male friends and we...
My kids both had facebook accounts years before they were 13. My daughter made one because about half the kids in her class had a page. But aside from the initial excitement of "friend"ing everyone, she hasn't used it since. I recently tried to get her to make a "legal" facebook page now that she is 13. But she has gotten so into internet privacy that she wants a pseudonym, a screen name only. She doesn't want anything online with her real name and birthdate. My...
Hello, Mama Amie! Although this thread is long and rich with information, it has all but died in the last year. This is really too bad, because I have found very little resources available at all to American Buddhist parents. Buddhism has been brought to the west within the last 60 years, and though it has gained popularity, it isn't really part of our culture. Most American Buddhists converted as adults. There is extremely little written material in English on how to...
My oldest weaned during my second pregnancy, but started nursing again after the baby was born (when she was 21 months old). For us, it actually reduced sibling rivalry. I didn't plan to nurse my toddler again, but during the first few days after the baby was born she started having terrible temper tantrums and started hitting and biting her new brother, especially when I was trying to nurse him. Someone suggested to me to let her nurse again, letting the baby go first...
My original goal was just 1 year, in accordance with AAP recommendations. I didn't really have a limit, I simply didn't see myself going further. But a year came and went, and my daughter showed no signs of wanting to wean. I couldn't think of reasons to make her stop arbitrarily, so she just kept nursing. She tandem nursed with her younger brother for 18 months until *he* self weaned first, and she kept going. After about 3-4 years old, I became much more provate...