or Connect

Posts by kythe

You may get better responses if you post this in the "Az, Utah" section on the "Finding your tribe" forum. I had both of my babies at the Birth and Women's Health Center, Tucson's only free standing birth center. I had as few interventions as a home birth, but it was a beautiful facility and was entirely covered by insurance. Since I was there, they have moved into a new building and they have waterbirth tubs in eaxh of their 4 birthing rooms. I'm still in love with...
I'm ex-vegetarian, but for a different reason. I spent a couple of years in my late teens/early 20's trying to be vegan, but cheese was my biggest weakness. What turned me away from that diet entirely was social pressure. I was shy and insecure, and I hated being at work, school, or with friends always explaining my dietary choices to people. It made me feel "different". When I married my now ex-husband, he was the straw that broke the camel's back. He is a big meat...
No, I've never found the idea very appealing, even encapsulated. Maybe its a cultural thing today, that I can't wrap my mind around the idea of consuming something that came out of my body. But I understand why some people do and I fully support that choice.
Heket, I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian church, but was already starting to move away from my parents' beliefs even in my teen years. I was very attracted to paganism and Wicca for many years, but those belief systems lack theology and cultural background that older religions have. I was first introduced to Buddhism about 10 years ago when I decided to learn to meditate and found a local meditation group led by a Zen monk. I heard some dharma teachings there,...
There used to be a Buddhism thread here, but over time it has been buried because no one posts in it anymore. I think I was the last person who posted in it, back in October, when I officially took refuge as a Buddhist. But I don't think there are any active Buddhist posters any more. One of my favorite Buddhist books is "The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying" by Sogyal Rinpoche. There are several branches of Buddhism, this book is written by a monk from one of the...
I couldn't deal with it at all. For me it wasn't just the "ick" factor, by the time I was in my second trimester breastfeeding had become a toe-curling pain. I couldn't handle it and weaned. However, my oldest started nursing again after her baby brother was born. Even though it had been a few months, she remembered how. They tandem nursed for 18 months - when my youngest weaned first! I don't think it is wrong to wean during pregnancy if that is what your body is...
I've bought clothes from thrift stores all my life. The only things I buy new are stuff like underwear, socks, and swimsuits. Otherwise, our wardrobes for both me and the kids come almost entirely from thrift stores. Most of our furniture and other items are used as well. A few years ago I worked with someone who was so adamantly against buying used that she seemed to consider me a second class citizen for "not caring for my appearance", i.e. not wearing the same...
Wow, this is like the "Arizona club" here! I've never had an unassisted birth, but I was attracted to all the local people. Just to throw an idea out there - there is new legislature in the making regarding scope of practice for licensed midwives. It isn't finalized, but there is a possibility DEM's may soon be allowed to attend VBAC's as long as the diagnosis was NOT "failure to progress with CPD" You may want to check with a midwife for more details, because I may...
I've never been fond of amusement parks. Even as a kid, I tended to want to go only to "fit in", to be able to say I'd been. But I'm too introverted and not adventurous enough to really enjoy amusement parks. I tend to think there is a lot of hype but not much payoff. I don't live near one, so its always a major trip. There is all the planning and excitement, but you get there and spend the day waiting in lines, and its very expensive. We do go to the county fair on...
Have you seen or read "The Life of Pi"? Funny, I was just talking about this is another thread... Pi follows 3 religions simultaneously - Hindu, Christian, and Muslim. This may seem conflicting, but he sees it as seeing God manifest in different ways. It makes sense if you consider that Pi was Hindu first, and they are polytheistic. He "adds" Christian and Muslim beliefs since he sees them as additional ways God manifests himself. Under the umbrella of Hinduism, it...