or Connect

Posts by kythe

Before I ever had children, I once met a woman who said small pelvises ran in her family. She wasn't the type of person who automatically believes everything she hears, and she does read alot and research issues on her own. She believed that C-sections save women that otherwise would have died, basically eliminating natural selection or "survival of the fittest". Thus, these people are now passing on genes that otherwise would have been eliminated and now their children...
I didn't have a problem with mine until we were at my daughter's 9 month check up. The nurse asked, "Does she hold her own bottle" as a routine question to assess developmental milestones. I said that she didn't take a bottle since she still breastfeeds. She just stared at me, then excused herself from the room. This is the same reaction she gave at the 2-month visit when I had told her we wouldn't be vaccinating at that time. Basically, she left to go talk to the...
It's not an effective cartoon, regardless. I'm not worried about it's impact. I take offense at the idea that there is a "social taboo" on public breastfeeding. I bf'ed in public for 3.5 years between two children, and have only had one negative experience. As far as I'm concerned, an isolated incident doesn't constitute "taboo". I've always tried to be very modest, but I've never covered up with a blanket and never felt I was doing anything contrary to society's...
My kids occasionally play "Mommy and Daddy", but I don't worry about it too much. I think it's a pretty normal phase for siblings to go through. When I was a kid, my younger brother once told some people at church that he was going to marry me. I was terribly embarrassed because I was old enough to know better, but some adults around laughed it off and told me to take it as a compliment. It meant he loved me and was happy I was his sister.
I have read in years past about the practical use of the shepherd's rod. Considering that not many of us nowadays have this once-common occupation, it makes sense that many people misunderstand a shepherd's work and his tools. From what I understand, a shepherd used his rod to ward off enemies, to count the sheep to ensure none were lost, and to separate each sheeps's wool to inspect their skin to check for disease. It was never used to actually hit the sheep. I...
I believe long-term nursing has more to do with a mother's openness about her child's needs than it does with the child's personality. My daughter nursed for the last time at age 6. She has always been very independant and outgoing and at the top of her class in school. I don't attribute this to nursing. She just was blessed with an easy-going personality and ability to learn and adapt. My son weaned much sooner, but he has always been my high needs child. We were...
#1: broke spontaneously during pushing #2: broke 9 hours before onset of labor A midwife I know said she doesn't believe there is a necessarily a pattern to when the water breaks. For some women, it happens the same way every time. For others, it is different with each birth.
When my dd was about 2, we were in a bookstore quietly reading when a woman showing a bit of cleavage walked by. In a typical loud toddler voice, my daughter pointed and shouted, "Her nursies are showing! Look, Mama, I can see her nursies!" It was one of those moments when I wished I could just look the other way and pretend that wasn't actually my child, but I know the lady heard her even if she didn't respond. I was embarrassed because the lady wasn't really...
I was advised to continue taking iron pills after my babies were born since I had been anemic during both pregnancies. One of my midwives said it can take 1-2 years for your body to fully recouperate after a birth and for your vitamin levels to be normal and stable, especially if there were issues during pregnancy. Are you concerned about the baby getting too much iron? If you are barely getting enough, the baby certainly won't be overdosing through your breastmilk. ...
Quote: Originally Posted by bnhmama Well, he's not obsessed with it *but* when we go to Barnes and Noble there's a Thomas table/train set set up there and he can seriously play with with of HOURS. Yes, we've gone to our local Barnes and Noble for years for no other reason than to play with their Thomas table train set. We'll stay an hour or so, then wait a while to come back. I'm always afraid someone will notice we don't actually buy stuff...