or Connect

Posts by kythe

My favorite book this year has been "The Life of Pi". It was the first thing that came to mind before I even opened the thread, and it seems I'm not alone. I hadn't heard of it until I saw the movie, but I read it as soon as I could. Life of Pi isn't just a survival story - it explores the essence of human nature through a circumstance so extreme, most of us will never have to face this part of ourselves during our lifetime. I found it very moving and its the type of...
Ok thanks. When I was a kid (in another state) my parent raised chickens. They ran around our property during the day and were placed into the hen house for their own protection at night. My parents collected and sold the eggs.For most of my life, I assumed this is how most chickens are treated. It wasn't until recent years that I first learned about "battery chickens" and how they are truly kept in large factories. It seems very hard to get away from this and find...
On a related note, does anyone know where to buy eggs from true free range chickens? I don't mean caged chickens with "outdoor access", but maybe a local farm where chickens are truly able to roam outdoors during the day and preferrably grass fed as well?
My kids are 11 and 12, and I have been divorced 9 years. For many years I thought I was finished having kids, but now that I'm in my mid 30's I feel my biological clock ticking. I have worked my way through college and have a good job to support our family. I also feel like I make wiser choices now and could "correct" mistakes I made the first time if I could just start over. But my boyfriend of 4 years is nearly infertile, it is highly unlikely we will conceive...
Part of me is glad to see breeches are allowed - but is there any additional training required to ensure midwives actually know how to safely deliver vaginal breechs? Many doctors do not even do this, and even in midwifery its a dying art. This whole thing looks suspiciously like setting midwives up for failure. Take away modern medicine that makes homebirth safe, allow higher risk practices that may increase complications, then record results? This is a step toward...
Does this apply to CNM's attending home births, or jst CPM's? Do these new rulea apply to free-standing birth centers or only home births? Supposedly they expanded the scope of practice for CPM's. Are they now permitted to do VBAC's, twins, and breeches?
I used the daiya mozerella as a flavoring on spaghetti, and used a mix of the mozerella and cheddar flavors for mac and cheese. My son can be a very picky eater, yet he likes these flavors. I don't see it as "unhealthy" even if it does contain titanium dioxide and msg. These are common ingredients in many processed foods, its not a risk specific to this food. I see cheese (or cheese substitutes, as it is) as a flavoring, not a staple in our diet. We don't have it with...
It sounds like this is not a serious political proposal, but just an article throwing out the idea. The author mentions the midwifery model of care in other developed countries. She's right, but what she is missing is that midwives in those countries have training more comparable to CNM's, not CPM's. I think its a great idea for insurance companies to start covering planned home births. But since the obstetric community is so against this, it makes more sense that a...
I live in Arizona, and when my daughter was in kindergarten she had a classmate named Arizona. Arizona's older sister was Kenya (like the country). I'm not aware that anyone teased these girls about their names, at least at that age. It was simply a fact. Mercedes is not as unusual in my area, though some people see it as "ghetto" or "trashy".
My situation started out the same way yours is - my older daughter weaned when I was pregnant because my milk supply dried up and breastfeeding became intensely painful. But although I thought we were done and didn't plan on nursing again, we did start tandem nursing after my son was born. It really helped ease jealousy when my daughter didn't feel "replaced" by her brother. If you really don't want to nurse your son anymore, you have to get to the root of the issue -...