or Connect

Posts by kythe

Quote: Originally Posted by mataji4 I watched the video before I read the responses. As I watched it, I had a hard time with all of the people- their comments, their noise, their moving about, people actually touching the baby's head and bag as it emerged. As I watched the new mother holding baby, having after-pains with all of those people talking and walking around, I felt protective of her and was thinking "why don't those people get out of...
Just for asking, does anyone have a medical source to back up the delayed cord cutting/vit k connection you are making? We delayed cord clamping, but I never associated that with vit k. We didn't use vit K in any form because our CNM explained that most babies with bleeding problems are premature, had traumatic or difficult births that may cause bruising, or are scheduled for surgery (such as circumcision) after birth. She believed that normal healthy newborns don't...
Do you have a good library near you? That's how I have read a good number of this type of book. I got lucky once and bought my copy of "Childbirth Without Fear" at the Goodwill store a few years ago. However, it's very rare to find specific books in thrift stores since they only carry what's been donated recently.
It looks like you've got a pretty good library going already! Though I never took a class, I read, "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" by Susan McCutcheon. It's a little narrow in its focus, but its still very practical. I also like "The Birth Book" by Dr. Sears and "Easing Labor Pain" by Adrienne Lieberman. Edit to add: Okay, I just noticed you are choosing *from* these books. Sorry. "Childbirth Without Fear" by Grantly Dick-Read is one of the first...
In the US, they are available by prescription only as far as I know. I used to work in a physical therapy clinic and have seen people use them to manage chronic back pain. Many people swear by them. I'm not sure why it's not more readily available, since I've never heard of any side effects. I had back labor with both of mine, I literally felt nothing but back pain. I would love to have used one. If I had it to do over again, I think I would be a bit more pushy...
That was a very beautiful birth. You are so fortunate to have supportive friends with the patience and knowledge to keep telling you those positive messages during your contractions. If you hadn't said, I would not have guessed that none of the people there were doulas or midwives. From their comments, they seem very knowledgeable. I also appreciate the length. Most birth videos show a contraction or two and the birth itself, but you don't grasp the full experience. ...
My first "public" experience with my firstborn was at a LLL meeting. I had been once during pregnancy, and my second time was when my dd was 3 days old. I was quite nervous, unreasonably so considering where I was , but everyone said I didn't "show" anything while getting her latched on. It gave me the confidence I needed to go on to nurse in public wherever I was for the next year, and with my next baby as well. I have never used a blanket, I just wore large shirts.
I'm an LPN and vaccinations were mentioned within lectures here and there in school, but it wasn't something we concentrated on. In an optional pharmacology class I took, the subject once came up and I started talking about herd immunity. Our instructor commented positively that I had done my homework and read the chapter. I told him actually I didn't , but that this was information I already knew as I researched the subject when deciding on vaccinations for my kids. ...
No, she breastfed me on a 3 hour schedule, giving me water in-between if I fussed. I was weaned suddenly at 3 months old when her doctor was shocked that I was still nursing and told her I needed to wean immediately to gain weight. She "rebelled" when my younger brother was born, nursing him on demand until he was 9 months old. My mother went with the "status quo" for the time, but I was raised with the knowledge that all three of my cousins were born at home and...
Hello everyone, I'm an LPN in long-term care. I graduated from nursing school just over 6 months ago. I'm taking this year off to work, but plan to return to school next year for RN (ADN). I eventually will work my way up to Certified Nurse-Midwife, though at the rate I'm going I could easily be 40 by then! That's okay though, if all goes well I will still have a 25 year career as a CNM before reaching retirement. I always thought I would want to do L&D, but at...