or Connect

Posts by kythe

What's with the new ads all of a sudden?  At first my screen was fine, but starting today there are ad columns on both sides of the threads I read.  The thread is now a column, and the ads are literally taking up over half of my screen. :(  It makes the page look very "busy".
On the subject of creating, we made our own Halloween costumes this year.  My kids are also into the game Minecraft, so I bought some 12x12x12 boxes (for our heads) and construction paper, and we spent the afternoon making characters from the game.  We didn't play with legos at all that day, and we had a lot of fun.   There are actually a lot of costumes you can make using cardboard boxes. When I was in 3rd grade, my mom and I cut out two large circles from a large...
So what is the child doing in time out?  Sitting?  Are they in a place where they can play?   I admire kids who can sit still for a long time - many adults can't do that.  This is a great quality that will get them far in life.  If I was to take that one step further, I would consider teaching the child to meditate to help them clear their mind and learn greater focus.  This is a good skill if used properly.
My 10 year old son is like this too, but I consider legos a healthy activity.  It isn't electronic, it actually uses brain power.  It teaches motor skills and following instructions as the child is building the set.  It also allows for a creative play with the minifigures as he uses them to role play and tell stories.  Then when he's done with the set, he takes it apart for creative building of his own designs with the supplies.   I'm not disagreeing with you on...
Cute skit.  It's especially funny since in real life Tom Hanks strikes me as the opposite kind of parent.  He's nothing like this and has kept his kids out of the limelight.
Hello everyone.  I've suffered from Major Depressive Disorder since I was a teenager.  I tend to take medications until I feel better, then stop taking them, then plunge again.  This time I have to convince myself to keep taking medication that works.   Just this afternoon I had an acupuncture session to help with anxiety.  It worked - I went in feeling awake and refreshed, and came out feeling sleepy and relaxed.  I don't know how long term the effects...
I tend to think time outs should be a positive experience, not a "punishment".  I have occasionally met parents who say time out doesn't work for their kids because the kid enjoys it.  I find myself thinking, "So you have a child who voluntarily sits still and quietly for a few minutes, and you see that as a bad thing?".   As an adult, I am learning to meditate because I find it helps me clear my mind and focus more.  But kids who learn this skill early are truly...
Thanks for sharing!  I showed it to my kids and my 12 year old was impressed.  I've always considered myself very modest, but she thought I was more like "second kid" with my attitude toward breastfeeding.  I'm glad she perceives that we should be open and comfortable with breastfeeding.
So here's another question:  Why is dodge ball so popular if so many people dislike it?  I don't know how common of a game it is for kids today, but in our generation it seems quite common since we are all familiar with it.  Or does a poll like this skew results by attracting only people with negative memories of the game?
I personally wouldn't do it, but I am also a nurse and I would be afraid of the appearance of violating scope of practice.  Contract or no, to an outsider it still looks like you are a practitioner at the birth if you are the only person attending who has any kind of training.  For me all it would take is a third party who hears about the situation, and decides to report me as attending a birth to the state board of nursing.  I would have a lot of questions to answer,...