or Connect

Posts by Phoenix~Mama

Most of the midwives that do home births in PA are not CNM's.  I know some women have had good results getting at least the bulk of the charges covered by insurance as prenatal care.  For the NEPA region I recommend Jennifer McFarland.  She is a DEM.
  I'm the same as you, it sounds like.  I like to fret over things and over-analyze how something may be.   A few things that were incredibly helpful to me when preparing for birth, was to read positive birth stories.  I found many right here on mothering.  I made a little folder and printed out the inspirational ones that spoke to me.  This can be your reminder that you are not alone in your journey and many women have felt what you will feel and they have come through...
I'm sorry this didn't work out for you.  Though, if it is an interest, like you mentioned, you could just be in business for yourself and set what hours you feel comfortable with.  I have various hour packages, with the minimum being a 5 hour package.  But the hours do not need to be taken all together.  Night nannies, where it's overnight, are different than postpartum doulas, in my opinion.  But the hourly wages in this area for a PP Doula are around $25/hour.  Night...
Before I became a doula myself, I think back to a time before I ever even knew what a doula was.   I think of the birth of my first child.  I thought the same, that I had a MW who supported my birth plan, I may not really need a doula.  I'm educated, etc, I felt prepared.   But, birth has a funny way of surprising you sometimes.  And if you are a first time Mom, expect to labor longer at home.  I didn't know it at the time, but my daughter wasn't positioned...
Another doula here, across the border in PA.  There is also a tri-state birth professionals group on Facebook!  :-)  
I also reccommend Jennifer McFarland.  
CBI is open to any methods.  They don't go into any one particular method in depth, but you can always get additional books geared especially towards aromatherapy or something like that if you want to learn more.   I am with CBI and for the most part I do like it.  I like that I have an unlimited time to complete things and it's all at my own pace.  The material is very in depth and my trainers are very quick to respond to all my assignments or anything I have...
I have sent you a private message.  I hope you are able to get it!  :-)  Welcome to the Lehigh Valley!  
I've never heard of a MW, whether a CNM, CPM, or DEM ever discourage a doula.   In fact I know of at least one home birth CNM in the Lehigh Valley (only a little north of Philly area) that actually stipulates that her clients have a doula.  
Congrats on your pregnancy!   I highly recommend Jennifer McFarland.  She was my MW with my 2nd.  I did not actually get to have a home birth with her, because I developed pre-eclampsia in my 3rd tri, but I'm still here today due to her knowledge and vigillence, and just being an awesome care provider.  She also remained in touch with me during my hospital stay, and even though she could not come during my birth because she was at another birth, she was able to send...