or Connect

Posts by ManiacMama

DS #1 was hs for part of 1st and all of 2nd grades and ds #2 was hs for all of K. DD was hs for preschool and never attended any kind of school before starting K a few weeks ago. They are now in 4th, 2nd, and K and this is our 2nd year back at ps. I put them in for a number of reasons, but mainly because my ds #1 is an active alert child who requires an incredible amount of structure that I just couldn't provide. Without it he acts out and causes a great deal of...
My kids love school lunch. I let them get it last year every day because it was their first year in school and they didn't want to be there; it was the one highlight of their day. The novelty never wore off. This year, they are better adjusted. I allow them to get school lunch 2 days per week, and then I pack them a lunch the other days. I try to have a wide variety of things to pack so it doesn't get boring. They tolerate it, but they'd prefer cafeteria food. My...
What bothers me most is the watered down curriculum. There is really no history (at least until 4th grade when they start learning about presidents), and not much science. Science and social studies units are alternated. Also, I do not like the new reform math. We are switching from Investigations Math (which I hated) to Everyday Math this year, and I have yet to find any good reviews on ED Math. In fact, I've heard it's worse than Investigations. Aargh. So we'll be...
We have done both. Our oldest attended K, where we had a disasterous start, switched schools (to our current school which was much better). Due to circumstances not related to school, we homeschooled the following 1/2 year and tried our neighborhood school again. Again, we were very disappointed. We pulled ds toward the end of the year and homeschooled the following year until last fall, when our oldest entered in 3rd grade and our middle entered in 1st (first school...
Very well said, Barb; I completely agree. Every child is unique; every family unique and with those personalities come a family dynamic. For us, if all three of my children had temperaments of my two youngest, then homeschooling would be a breeze. But it just isn't so. I have one child who puts a great deal of strain on our family dynamic (oh how we love him, but that separation is really important). So while it's my dream to hs all my kids, it wouldn't be good for my...
Me too. We homeschooled twice and gave up twice. Academically, the kids thrived and they liked it, but it burnt me out. My eldest is an active alert child and I just can't provide the structure and patience he requires. I feel terrible, because I think homeschooling would be better for all of them in many ways, though not all. So for now my dream is homeschooling but my reality is PS.
Yes, we have had this issue in our school too, more so for the lower elementary grades (K and 1st) than for 3rd. In K, it seemed like a daily thing. I don't like it at all, but there are so many things that bother me about schools that I'd drive the school nuts if I said something about everything I didn't like.
Quote: Originally Posted by freestyler But it's a rough transition, isn't it? The loss of a dream is hard, period. It's a huge life change. You hit exactly I've been going through the last year exactly dead on! Yes, this is so true!! It is a rough transition and don't be surprised if those grieving feelings hold on, and on, and on. I signed my kids up for school a year ago and I'm still grieving, still in turmoil about this decision...
I don't homeschool anymore, but I wanted to offer my support and let you know that, yes, your post sounds very familiar to me and it can be really hard. Family dynamics is huge, IMO, and sometimes can make homeschooling very difficult. My oldest is also my challenging one. He is dynamic and intense and wonderful, but he also tends to bully and boss and argue and complain and start fights ALL THE TIME! I think you understand. I just got to the point where I couldn't...
I thought I'd give an update on our decision ---- We have un-enrolled from School B and have chosen to stay at School A. Thanks to everyone for their input; it really helped a lot. I was thinking many of the things that you all voiced, and I was leaning toward staying at A, but hearing from so many really helped to solidify this decision. I feel very good about our choice. Thanks again!