or Connect

Posts by ElsieLC

I have been wondering about this, too. Lately I've had good luck framing things in terms of the weather or the season (the weather's good today, so it's the best day to mow the lawn), but they're not "paperworky" things (love that term!).  
Update--I did tell my friend. I let it come up as part of the conversation. She seemed startled for a minute, but I don't know if it was because she hadn't met an actual person who didn't vaccinate their child. DD is scheduled to do one kind of vax, and I asked my friend for some tips (and she was reassuring). She seemed fine about it. I'm glad that's out of the way.   I was surprised to hear how few people have discussed it with friends, but glad for the validation...
Sending you support also! My 4yo DD wears hearing aids for her moderate to severe loss, and is mainstreamed in a Montessori preschool, where she is doing fine. I remember how hard those early days were in the beginning. It does get easier. And I used to have "Denial Days" when I would tell myself I just wasn't going to think about my DD's hearing loss, because it was too hard that day. And sometimes those feelings come back, but they are brief now.   Do connect with...
I wanted to update that the remedy we originally used worked very well, but its effects faded after about nine months. We went back to the homeopath and tried different dosages, and finally settled on a more specific remedy that seems to have done the trick. That said, DD still is uncomfortable with new situations, but that seems reasonable given her age and personality.   Katie--do you have any practitioners of naturopathic medicine where you are? Or a natural foods...
When do you feel *obligated* to tell a conventionally-vaccinating friend about your decision to vaccinate selectively?   I've been around other moms who've joked offhandedly about "those mothers who don't believe vaccination works" and I just change the subject.   But a new situation has come up. Another mom and I carpool our kids to preschool. I haven't told her that my kid isn't vaccinated. But lately she has been talking more about vaccinations. In addition to...
I find it helps me to distinguish among different types of disorder:      clutter - either too many items to easily put away, or objects that don't have a home      dirty - grime on surfaces, garbage to be thrown away      untidy - objects are out of place but they do have homes and are easy to put away The last one is easiest for me to bear, because kids can help with it ("Let's tidy up before we go to the park."). They can help (in very limited ways) with...
Sumner is close to Puyallup. I occasionally drive from West Seattle to Puyallup mid-day (opposite traffic) and it takes one hour. That's with no traffic congestion, and skipping Interstate 5.   Since homeschooling is important, have you considered the city of Renton? It'd be a lot closer to Sumner, and friends who homeschool really like all the homeschooling resources there.   Normally I encourage people to move to Seattle, because it can be wonderful here, but...
An espresso pitcher (small, stainless steel, found it at a thrift store) was DD's favorite toy at that age. It's small and pours really well.
Before I had kids, I looked forward to the "why?" questions. I pictured Socratic discussions about science and religion. Now that DD is 4yo, it feels like she's a contestant on Jeopardy and absolutely everything she says must be framed in the form of a question. For example, Child:  "How old is Milo?" Adult:  "Milo is five years old." Child:  "Why is he five years old?" and so on, without any breakthrough insights. And yes, I can think of several interesting lines...
I haven't figured out the secret to sewing jersey, either. I do find that pinning the fabric to a piece of paper (I use adding machine tape from garage sales) gives the fabric enough body to go through the machine, plus it helps the jersey to keep its shape. After sewing the seam, it's pre-perforated and easily rips off.   DD asked for doll socks and they're so tiny, I haven't bothered switching to the walking foot, but perhaps I'll try that.