or Connect

Posts by ElsieLC

More of a SAHP. I think cooking is central to the homemaker idea and I struggle with wanting to cook at all/enjoying my efforts at cooking. I do keep the house at a basic level of clean. I have a high-energy special needs not-quite-3yo and I tell myself that that gives me a pass. I do volunteer work and I think that's unusual with a kid this age. At least, that's what I tell myself on days when I'm just a babysitter.
I have tears in my eyes! But I can't tell if they're from laughter or despair.
Thanks everyone, this thread was really helpful. I met with the director to talk about my annoyance with the transition plan...specifically, that there should be Transition Plan A for most kids (the car line), Transition Plan B for some kids (walking kids in, saying goodbye on the playground), and Transition Plan C for the really shy kids (walking them to the playground and then walking them into class and staying for an hour). I also met with DD's teacher and...
This is such a basic question I am almost embarrassed to post. We pay for groceries with credit cards (which we pay off each month). Sometimes DH does the shopping, sometimes me. I'm a SAHM, so most of the food prep and planning is my job. I also have time to go to extra stores to chase down hot deals. Every few months, DH pulls our credit card spending info into Quicken and produces a report of how well we stuck to our budget...six months ago. I'm looking for...
My DD just started preschool and we haven't introduced the FM at school yet. But she's had personal FM receivers and we have had our own transmitter for about a year now and I think ALL families of HOH kids should have their own FM system! It cut down on MY exercise--when we go out in public, I never have to run to catch up to her to tell her to stop or slow down. She can hear me in the supermarket, in the library (no longer do I have to yell across the childrens'...
I really count on DD (nearly 3) taking a nap. Mostly I like to relax without keeping an ear cocked to the baby monitor. And I like to get things done, like make phone calls or concentrate for more than 7 minutes. But some days she doesn't nap, and then I don't have a plan. I will always make her "rest" in her bedroom for 45 minutes or an hour (or whatever I can get) but after that? I think if we go out and do something "fun" it will only encourage her to skip the nap....
I'm considering buying my own steam cleaner because I have a white sofa that would cost $200 to be professionally cleaned. (Yes, I bought it pre-kid. Yes, it is now technically a grey sofa.) Is it worth it to have my own steam upholstery cleaner? The local hardware store carries some Bissell models (Little Green and QuickSteamer PowerBrush). I just realized I have coupons that would bring the price way down! What else can you use these on? I'd like to use it on the...
If I am crying as I say goodbye to my crying child at her new school, how do I tell if I am crying because I am projecting my feelings of onto her and therefore making her cry, or if I am crying because I am worried about the situation? (I know my answer to this, but I need some more vocabulary to help me articulate the ideas to other people.) "It's harder on the mom than on the kid," said the umpteenth person at school today and I lost it. Maybe it *is*...
1. What is the spectrum of ways in which Montessori schools help new students adjust to the school experience? 2. Why does DD's school recommend that ALL students (no matter how young, or their personalities) be dropped off in the car line from day one? DD is 2.75 yo. She has been at home with me the entire time. The longest she's been away from DH and me has been 3 hours, and she's always in the care of a relative or one of two friends. She is a shy and clingy child....
You might also look at the Columbia City neighborhood, though I doubt there is much in the way of buses to Harbor Island (there are few buses that run east-west). Both Columbia City and West Seattle have farmers' markets.