or Connect

Posts by anomaly13

My two little guys, 6 and 4, are going to have some dental work done in the hospital under GA.  It is something I am dreading but after much consideration feel is the right thing for our family for a variety of reasons.  I am looking for other families who have gone through something similar, or not, willing to share some tips, guidance, support, thoughts, or what ever you can.   The details, well as detailed as I can get as I still have some questions to get...
We love store bought milk kefir, not just the flavored versions but the plain ones as well.  The homemade stuff I have been making for the past couple weeks is awful!  It tastes like rotten milk, even when I blend it up with fruit and honey and make sure it is very cold, we just cannot drink it.  I have tried using less/more milk and changed up the length of time anywhere from 6 hours to 24 and every time it tastes rotten (the milk tastes fine before).     Right now...
The total days of schooling in our family really depends on how many hours a day we do school and how much time we choose to take off.  We do some school every day of the week.  This is our first year in Wisconsin and I plan on 1-2 weeks off every 5-6 weeks, basically 1 week off mid season, 2 weeks off at season's change, but since this is our first year I cannot be sure how it will end up. On paper it would look like this:   52 weeks a year - 12 weeks off (spread...
pek64-  No, in Wisconsin the only required documentation is to submit the state's form stating intent to homeschool by a certain date each fall for each child 6-18.  You are required to log 875 hours of school during the year, typically September to early June.  You are also required to provided instruction in a specific set of subjects.  There is no requirement that you submit this proof each year.  However, if you are involved in an audit the state will want to see...
We have BadgerCare/GHC and are looking for a family doc/ped. for our 3 littles, 2-6 yo.  We do delayed/alt. vac., co-sleep, extended bfing, etc.  I like GHC for the complementary services offered, the only services we have actually used since joining last fall,  but can switch to Dean, Unity, Phys. Plus (I think thats it).     Also looking for a murcury free dentist.  However all the holistic dentists, there are 3 to my knowledge, in the state do not take...
It's our first year homeschooling in WI also.  Like pp, learning takes place all the time in our home so counting hours doesn't seem to be a big deal, we will definitly go over or meet the mark early on.  We school year round, with a week or two off at a time as needed on a seasonal basis.  We don't observe most, or any really, holidays in the traditional sense, nor do we follow our districts calendar.  We school 5 "regular" days a week, about 4 hours a day, with the...
20 month old dd has had a cough for a few weeks now.  it has gone from frequent and wet to less often and mostly dry.  now it comes a few times a day and a few times at night, no "fits", no vomiting, just a cough.  it has gotten better, much better but she still coughs.  DS2 had a very similar cough that started at the same time and has taken the same course but is now pretty much gone, may be once a night he wakes up coughing.  I am honestly not too concerned anymore as...
Also needs to be frugal Using fresh greens is pretty much out since I don't have a high power blender, tried once with kale in my current blender and it was awful- had to chew it down. Was thinking of getting a powder but that seems like a waste since the greens are all dead, or is it still nutritionally sound? Is it cost effective? I noticed some brands include green tea and I have to stay away from caffeine, any brand recommendations? Next I thought about going with...
I need to buy a dozen prefolds and a couple covers to get my dd through the winter before we start potty learning.     The last bunch of prefolds were bought from green mountain, I got both red and yellow thread sizes, these did not last.  They came when dd was born in 4/2010, the yellows were used for a short time, maybe 5 months, and lasted fine. However the reds had been in use for less then a year before they started to come apart.  Now, after 13 months of use,...
My DH's diet is completely wrecked!  A little background.....Before we met he was a macrobiotic vegan for 6 years or so.  Then he was working on the road a lot and slowly stated to eat just about anything.  When we met 6 years he was eating like most Americans.  Now he wants to back to eating more of a vegetarian diet but can't seem to get an appetite for any of the meals I prepare.  Nothing sounds good to him although I know he likes vegetarian foods.  I admit to not...