or Connect

Posts by KKmama

I'm using that strong a brine because that is what my 70s era Ball Blue book recommended. After I started, I became aware that some go with a 10% salt solution, some go with a 5% salt solution. I'll probably go with the 5% next time. I guess I'm not too worried about it now, because I really just want it to succeed. But maybe when I add more cukes, I'll add more water, without more salt. Can you reuse the brine? Can you use it for canning them? Do *you* can them? ...
I'm doing this for the first time in my life (all my previous pickles were the vinegar/salt water/boiling water bath method), and I'm curious about others' experiences and would welcome any tips. I have really prolific pickling cuke plants in my garden, and I've been brining them in a food grade bucket with a brine solution. (1 c. salt/2 quarts water, IIRC) I've been topping off the brine, and skimming off the scum, and I've been keeping the pickles down under a weighted...
My dh and I met with the principal today (and it went well, IMO). I think we were able to give him more details about the whole situation and impress upon him that it is just not working. He seems pretty firm on the school's homework policy (and gave us some recent research to read), but in his view, it shouldn't be more than 15-20 min. + reading in 2nd grade (which I'm basically fine with), and that's clearly not happening. The school and district policy are ~10...
I don't think I ever implied that I was asking for an exception for my child only. I think the idea of letting it be an issue between my son and his teacher is an interesting one, and I will consider it. Really, it seems like there are a lot of really good ways to improve the situation, and I appreciate the helpful suggestions. In the end, I think part of what's going on is that I never really thought about homework until it became an issue. I was a stellar...
I forgot to say that I've done some thinking about how I might like to change how we're addressing homework. One thing I've thought about doing is putting my old desk (from childhood) in his room... I think he would like that. It would be a "big boy" thing, but on the downside, it's far, far from where I usually am at homework time, which is the kitchen (I normally have him do his homework a couple of steps away, at the dining room table--good for monitoring him,...
Welllll..... The teacher is disinclined to meet with me now. I think she thinks that she has sufficiently explained the value/policy/etc, ut I still have questions (and I've struggled so hard to present them in a diplomatic, respectful way, and I suppose there's a possibility that I haven't been clear enough on what my questions are). So I've set up a meeting with the principal for a week from now. Part of me is totally quaking in my boots... I'm very much not a...
Quote: Originally Posted by Heavenly YOU chose to send him to school so you do IMHO have to bend to school rules in some circumstances. If this is too much of an issue for your son maybe you need to look into homeschooling. Otherwise you need to teach your son that sometimes we have to do things we don't like to do. Homework at this age is teaching good habits for the later grades when it will get harder and more extensive. My kids have to read every...
Ditto--EFMom, you're my hero, too. I *am* willing to do the legwork in coming up with alternate/more appropriate homework, and if it comes to that, I think I can propose it in a way that doesn't rub the teacher the wrong way. Something along the lines of "I'm a partner in his education, too, and I don't want to create extra work for you." Yeah, when he finally stops whining about the homework and quits squirreling around or surruptitiously reading, it takes *no*...
EFmom, great suggestions. I've requested them from the library (dh is a major Alfie Kohn fan). I know that research has shown no correlation between homework and achievement, but it would be helpful to have my facts in line. Sounds like really good food for thought, too. And I pretty much agree with every word you wrote. LookMommy, *I* think it's better if he paces himself, otherwise, he's a little panicky about it not being done Thurs night (and it doesn't improve...
I used the word drama in my email: I said "still too many outbursts and too much drama for my liking." She repeated it back to me and said she hasn't experienced that. (And yeah, it *is* drama: really, one doesn't need to burst into tears about homework, especially when you manage the same material just fine at school!) I'm not against homework per se; we had no problems in K or 1st. But (1) this seems like busy work with very little redeeming value (especially...