or Connect

Posts by gentleearthmama

Blueberries and cream cheese make a lovely shade of purple. Go easy on the blueberries, start with a tiny handful and then go darker as you like. we used the food processor and it looked great.
You can wrap your abdomen in aluminum foil, shiny side out to protect the baby from radiation on the plane. As long as you don't have a sharp cutter on the box, it will go though security just fine. Under your clothes, you can tuck it in your undies to hold in place or tape it on. I did this at the suggestion of my health kinisiologist when I flew and it gave me peace of mind that my baby was safe.
Try starting your day with a fruit smoothie (no banana) with a couple tablespoons of flax, hemp, or Udo's oil. And do prenatal yoga every day. Eat salad. Eat actual dried prunes, skip the juice. For me a couple does the trick. If you think its the iron in your prenatal, try not taking your vitamin until after you've had a poo. I do a smoothie in the morning (and a liquid cal-mag from Floradix), then a snack, and then take my prenatal with lunch (by that time I've...
I am not leaking, but I am fully lactating and if I didn't hand express in the shower every morning I am sure I would be leaking. If I don't express my breasts become extremely painful and full. I guess my milk never totally dried up from kid number one. Right now its 1/4 colostrum 3/4 milk. A couple tablespoons on each side. I have asked around about this, because I was concerned the hand expressing might cause premature labor and I what I am getting is that since...
My thought is that sometimes your water can break a couple of days before contractions start up, and sometimes labor starts and stops. If your water has broken and you're not in active labor, you don't really know how long it will be until your baby is born. It could be more than a day, and the risk of infection does increase. Also, getting in the tub before active labor has started can actually slow labor down. My advice is if your water does break before you're in...
First of all, I agree that we should call them something besides Blessingways if it is offensive to the Dine. In my circle we call them Mother Blessing Ceremonies. I wouldn't call it a baby shower because thats not what it is. We really focus on the mama becoming a mother, not so much on the baby. Here's some elements to what we like to do: Have everyone bring a bead for the birthing bracelet/necklace Everyone shares a meaningful thought, idea, story, poem, blessing,...
I love Gurmukh's Prenatal Yoga. Its a great workout, based on Kundalini yoga.
Thanks Bellymama for this thread. We call our ritual/celebrations "Mother Blessing Ceremonies" in my circle of friends. I don't know at all what a Dine ceremony would be like, but ours are sacred in their own way and don't resemble a traditional baby shower at all. Have you seen the book Mother Rising by Yana Courtland, Barb Lucke, and Donna Miller Watelet? The subtitle is "The Blessingway Journey into Motherhood" It draws from many cultures to guide one in leading a...
My midwife had me take alfalfa tablets for two weeks before my due date to increase my vitamin K. I had no hemmoraging. Sounds like all of the above suggestions are good ones, too!
Just wanted to add another suggestion from my midwife in case anyone else is looking for alternatives. She had a client who got a B-12 shot every two weeks and that really helped her.