or Connect

Posts by Slackermom

Hi! Yes, I did. It started out as a thesis for a graduate degree, but I knew all along that I wanted it to become a book. Here’s some info about it: http://www.enrichedbycatastrophe.blogspot.com Because mine was historical, most of my research was done in archives. I managed to finish up the research a couple of weeks before my daughter was born. Then, when she was about 4 months old, I started to plan out the outline and to write. I promised myself I would write a...
I have a BSW and a MSW. I have worked in the fields of sexual health, immigration services, community development, support for women in conflict with the law, and missing and exploited children. Currently, I work for the Canadian government in a policy analyst type position. I don't think I'll go back to front-line work, as it takes a personal toll. I'm quite happy doing my behind-the-scenes policy work, and getting involved in the community through volunteer work.
Bobbi, I just posted about this very thing in my blog! When my PPD was really taking hold, I felt like I did nothing but yell at my DD, over everything and anything. I felt like such a horrible mama. I'm not at all proud of how I acted. And like you, I had an infant and he was an angel -- while the demands of two children under 3 years old often made me feel out of control, my rage was almost always directed at my DD, not my baby DS. Now that I'm beginning to feel better,...
I take it at bedtime (or after the evening meal). It does still make me a bit drowsy, and I also want to limit the amount DS gets in the breastmilk (and he doesn't usually nurse at night anymore).
Oooooh yes. I am so tired today that my eyelides are swollen. I look like I was up crying all night. I wasn't, but I feel like crying today at work, because I'm too tired to get anything done, and I'm worn out by the idea of having to go home soon, make dinner, and be lively for two toddlers. My 3 yr old DD is finally sleeping well, from about 8pm-6:15am, which is fine. My 16 month old DS sleeps through the night (usually) but wakes REALLY early...usually between 5 and...
When I finally realized I have PPD (that it wasn't "just life", because that's what I thought, too), I first called my employee assistance program and got referred immediatley to to a therapist. The enxt day, I saw my family dr, who wrote me a prescription for Zoloft. I've been on it for almost four months, and the difference is wonderful. So I'm seeing a psychiatrist, a therapist (psychologist) and a medical doctor. -- they all work together on a plan to get me better....
Hi Zipworth! Thanks for that info, Rachelsmama. I think I'll write a letter. The IWK sends surveys to mamas a few months after the birth, asking for feedback about their experiences. I did use that to raise my concerns, but there was no follow-up.
Yeah, there aren't many, are there? And getting rid of the breastfeeding support clinic certainly doesn't help the IWK's case. Kathryn was working on the story because last summer, certain hospitals in NS were trying for the breastfeeding designation -- I think it was the IWK and a hospital in Cape Breton, but I can't recall. There were quite a few people upset about the fact that the IWK wanted to be breastfeeding-friendly, yet often offers forumula in lieu of...
I didn't identify that I had PPD until DS was almost 13 months old. I knew I wasn't quite right before that, but chalked it up to lots of other things. I was fortunate that my family dr was very sympathetic and worked hard to get me into a dr who specializes in PPD, and who usually only accepts patients up to 6 months post-partum. Your symptoms sound like what I experienced - exhausted, just wanting to get away, losing my temper a lot, feeling like I couldn't handle...
I haven't posted here in a long, long time (don't come to playgroup because I'm at work FT), but I pop in now and then, and wanted to add my thoughts on the breastfeeding situation. When DD was born in Nov. 2005, I had some great nurses who helped with BF a great deal. I also had two truly awful nurses whose advice contradicted everything the others had told me, and who kept nagging me to send DD to the nursery so that I could get some sleep. To be honest, my doula was...