or Connect

Posts by maddymama

If you can get there and hooked up before the electrolytes are soo off they put your child into cardiac arrest.  Dehydration isn't a matter to be taken lightly, it can have very serious consequences.  When DD was admitted earlier this week there was a crash cart outside her room.  I thought it was always housed there, it was only later I realized they had moved it outside her room when we were admitted because they thought she had a chance of coding that first night. ...
Oh Mama!  My heart breaks for you and for your family.  Your baby knows you love her, and knows that you would have helped her if you had known. I am so sorry to hear your story, and wish I could take some of your pain away.  I wish you peace, ~maddymama
HI, Just wanted to put my two cents in.... DD1 (4 years old) just came home from the hospital.  She was hospitalized for dehydration from catching the rotavirus.  She got very dehydrated very quickly (within 12 hours from the first vomiting episode) and was on an IV for 48 hours. When we were in the hospital, 3 of the other 5 kids in the pediatric section were hosptialized due to dehydration from rotavirus, and one of them was a 7 month old who had not been...
Oh, Mama, no wonder you are stressed out. You definitely have your hands full.... I have two kids, a 4 year old and a 15 month old.  Here's what I do to keep from feeling overwhelmed daily: 1) a good baby carrier is essential for my survival.  I have a Connecta and I love it. I could pop my baby in, nurse, keep baby close, and still sweep the floors, wipe down the counters, etc.  I could also parent my older one while still meeting the needs of my younger one.  2)...
I try hard not to compare myself with other moms.  As with cappucinosmom, I've had other moms say I've got it all together, and all I can do is laugh out loud because I am so not together.  My house borders on messy and dirty, it's a constant challenge to keep it semi-decent.  I also recognize that my kids and I do artwork, bake occasionally, and go to playgrounds and stuff because otherwise I'd lose my mind.  But there are so many things I don't do with my kids..... I...
Mama, this sounds quite frustrating.  I am sorry you have to go through this..... My baby didn't have quite the extreme that you are experiencing, but we found chamomile tea to be very helpful.  When she was tiny like yours, I drank several cups of tea each day so it would pass through my milk.  We noticed a change in her comfort level the first night, and noticed her getting uncomfortable on the nights I missed my tea.  Regarding the meds..... talk to your pedi...
Hi Mama, Sounds frustrating.  You've gotten some good advice and some good links to look at.  I only have a few additional suggestions.  First, don't be afraid to spend alot of time latching and re-latching your little one on at each feeding.  It takes time to teach your baby the correct way to latch.  With my second daughter, it took me almost an hour of latching her on at some of the feedings, but by day 3 she had it down to a science... and I had no nipple pain at...
Hi Mama, I made sure I was well rested (as well rested as is possible when you have two kids). That, for me, is the best thing I can do to keep myself healthy (well, that and eat healthy). I also got the flu vaccine. ~maddymama
Most mothers with plugged ducts tend to feel better within 24 to 48 hours after treating with warm compresses, etc. If you start to feel worse, or just not better, consider contacting a LC in your area and see what they say. Good luck! ~maddymama
Hi Mama, Sounds like it is either a bleb (although you didn't mention a white spot on your nipple) or a plugged duct. Warm compresses, lots of nursing, hand expression, lots of rest, lots of liquids would probably help you. Have you done anything new lately that might have put pressure on one of your breasts? A new baby carrier or a new carry? A new purse strap, backpack strap that hit you funny? Sometimes we develop clogged ducts from an inadvertant trauma.......