or Connect

Posts by jilson41

I love threads about children's books! Most of the books below have already been mentioned, but I thought I'd add a little more info to help you narrow down where to start with so many great suggestions. We read the My Father's Dragon series when my youngest were 2 1/2 and even at that age they were able follow along for a chapter at a time.  I think this series is an excellent place to start.  A warning, though--in the beginning of the first book, Elmer's mother...
Thank you all for your replies.  I guess I just need to be patient...sigh. Also, I don't know how I missed the thread below on the same subject, but the msg is pretty much the same--it'll happen when they're ready. http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1310894/night-dryness-laziness-or-not-ready   Jill
Hello All, I have 4 1/2 year old twins.  They've been daytime potty trained since age 3, but we're not even close on night time.  DD2 has never had a dry diaper at night and DS has maybe woken up dry 4 times in the past year.  How do I get them over the hump?  I've heard some say it's physiological and to wait it out, but this seems pretty old to me.  DD1 was night time potty trained within months of daytime. We've discussed rewards, but they just don't seem...
My daughter had a lot of growing pains in her lower legs and ankles when she was 4.  She would wake up in the middle of the night crying.  We finally took her into our pediatrician.  He calls them "use pains" and says they occur more often in active kids.  Because hers were so significant (nearly every night for a while), we decided to work her up for Lyme disease and leukemia, which involved a blood draw.  Traumatic for her, but it put our minds at ease.   My daughter...
Thanks so much!  These are great suggestions.   We've watched clay and lego stop motion animation videos on YouTube and think they're supercool.  We also have a Mac, I'll have to introduce her to photobooth and maybe will save the video stuff for when she's mastered that.  I'm not very good with this myself, so it will be a learning process for me, too. Funny, I just met with her teacher this morning and I want to work with her more on math.  It turns out she has...
We've always really restricted computer time for my almost 7 year old--mainly looking at photos or very rarely letting her play around at PBS kids. Last month on an unexpected day home from school, she created a story in Word, learning how to insert page breaks, correct spelling errors, etc.  It was a great learning experience for her and she had a lot of fun creating a story in a way different way.  We printed it out and she illustrated it.  I felt absolutely fine...
Yes.  When my kids have been at the age when I've been unsure about leaving them alone in the tub, I just tell them to sing loudly.  They have always been happy to comply.
I love this topic!  We love many of the books above, but I think the following are a good for your daughter's age. We loved the My Father's Dragon trilogy by Ruth Stiles Gannett We love Raold Dahl (see James and the Giant Peach and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory above) but I would suggest starting with the Fantastic Mr. Fox and then if your daughter can handle just a bit of scariness, read the  BFG.  I didn't need to edit these like I did James.. My kids loved...
We love Dick King-Smith books!  I'm wondering if the Britishness of them would be difficult for her.  I find myself interjecting explanations as I read.  Anyone have an early reader have a problem (or not) with books from UK writers? Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Oh, and I should have added that while we love Magic Tree House and the Rainbow Fairy books, we've been reading them aloud so much the past year (her 4 year old twin siblings love these books)...
Hi All, My 1st grade daughter is reading at about a 2nd grade level.  I want to get her a chapter book or two to read to herself over winter break.  I'd love suggestions for chapter books that a child at 1st/2nd grade reading level could read fairly independently. Thanks! Jill