or Connect

Posts by womenswisdom

Oy, I don't even know what to tell you. Depending on how you are doing Kegels, you could actually be making the problem worse so I'm a little appalled that she told you that with no evaluation of your personal situation. Improperly done Kegels can exacerbate the issue. Also, one part of the evaluation process for PT with pelvic floor disorders is to assess the strength and flexibility of the pelvic floor. A too-tight pelvic floor can be just as much of a problem with...
Well, we don't really know how long it took to come up. It could have been an 8 at two minutes but the apgar still would be done at five minutes. Just because the one minute was a 2 and the five minute was a 7 or more doesn't tell us how long the resuscitation actually took. I wouldn't assume it took the entire five minutes. Also, it's the five minute score that is associated with long term prognosis.
I would highly doubt that a hospital that doesn't do deliveries would be the place you'd want to go if you had a problem. The staff there is likely to have little to no experience with labor complications or newborn issues and may not even have the equipment you'd need to treat a problem. They wouldn't have an OB on staff and if you are rural, may not even have anesthesia in-house. If you're going to the hospital, presumably it's because there is something potentially...
I would be seeking a referral to a physical therapist trained in pelvic floor disorders. That person can evaluate the reason for the prolapse and help you with ways to correct it both before and after the birth. You might also check out the thoughts of Katy Bowman, a biomechanical scientist, about pelvic organ prolapse and its relationship to body alignment. See www.alignedandwell.com, click on "Blog" and search "prolapse". Very interesting stuff.
Buzzbuzz - I don't know anyone who is trained in NRP who thinks that simply keeping the cord intact is sufficient to treat a baby who needs help after birth. That may be a layperson's interpretation of delayed cord clamping, but it's certainly not the professionals'. Maybe it would help to explain the rationale of the midwifery approach to resuscitation. Keeping the cord intact and the baby on the mother is the norm and the standard, evolutionarily speaking. Thousands of...
Checking for tongue tie would be my first step. That frequently causes a baby to continually lose suction.
I would *maybe* do a homebirth at 36 and a few days, but I would definitely not do an unassisted birth at that point. Your chances of the baby needing additional help are significantly higher and not to have a trained professional there with the necessary equipment seems like too big of a risk to me.
I would be seen to make sure there has not been any cervical change with this cramping, especially since they were picking up contractions on the monitor yesterday.
I would be seen for period like cramping. That could very well be contractions.
Take a good look for a tongue tie, especially a posterior tongue tie. They are missed SO often and can result in a baby who is unable to latch. Check this video for a good technique for checking this out yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5opSbXvL7yQ. There should be no "piano wire" or "speed bump" feeling under the baby's tongue. If you are feeling or seeing anything that concerns you, keep looking until to find someone who is familiar with correcting these and can...