or Connect

Posts by womenswisdom

I know you said the LC checked your thyroid. Were there blood tests done, or was the thyroid just palpated? Not sure what the protocol is, but seems to me you'd need bloodwork to rule out a thyroid issue.
How about a doula? I often do a mini-crash-course on coping techniques when I'm hired late in the game. Otherwise, maybe a childbirth educator or doula could do a private class or couple classes? Maybe she has a friend who has had a good birth experience who would be willing to support her? I would suggest her partner (if she has one) read The Birth Partner. Good books for her might be Active Birth or Gentle Birth Choices. I would second the idea for 30 minutes a day...
Quote: Originally Posted by miriam magnesium sulfate = epsom salts. Same chemical, given by IV.
I generally prefer the topical treatments because they are not systemic (they stay in the fatty layer of the skin). However, if your dog has a reaction to topicals, then this would be a good alternative. Here is the product sheet for it for lots of info: http://elms.xh1.lilly.com/comfortis-product-label.pdf. There are some potential drug interactions so if your dog needs ivermectin for example, you'd want to be sure your vet was aware of your dog being on Comfortis and...
Quote: Originally Posted by organicpapayamama thanks everyone. I only am ok with the eye gunk because I was GBS pos with ds and assume I will be this time too, though I know that may not be the case. If Im neg then I may ask to pass on it. DDCC real quick to be sure you know that the eye ointment is not to prevent transmission of GBS. It's to prevent transmission of gonorrhea and chlamydia, which you were probably tested for at the beginning of...
I disagree with some pps who said that a doula is unnecessary at a homebirth. A midwife can act as a doula during labor, but what if it's a 48 hour marathon? I wouldn't want my midwife so sleep deprived when it "counted" at the end. I'd expect her to be able to be alert enough to perform NRP or resolve a shoulder dystocia or whatever. If she's been awake 24 hours or more doing counterpressure because I've had gnarly back labor, I would think that would be less likely. ...
I have thought about this a lot while contemplating my future. I spoke once with a midwife after a complicated homebirth I assisted with and she said that she knows that it's likely that if she does enough births, she's going to lose a mom or a baby. She's very knowledgeable and well-educated, but said that she feels that it's also important to her to be transparent and accountable for her actions. No one is perfect, we are all human and do the very best we can to...
Once you're that far dilated, I think the thing you're looking for is how much cervix is left. Then you subtract that from 10 and that's where you are. Just to clarify, that's my "book" answer, and not from any experience whatsoever.
WRT your rights, you always have the right to refuse to be induced. However, the practice has the right to transfer your care to their backup OB if they deem it necessary. I would ask the MFM what s/he thinks when you go and ask why s/he feels that way if you don't agree. Ask for studies and data so the two of you can have a discussion about the true risks. Ask what kind of monitoring would be appropriate if you chose to go past their recommended "limit" and have them...