or Connect

Posts by womenswisdom

I too have dealt with this issues, have receive therapy and meds for it because it was so bad I was having panic attacks. There is an EXCELLENT book about this very subject called The Imp of the Mind: Exploring the Silent Epidemic of Obsessive Bad Thoughts by Lee Baer. It's a form of OCD called obsessive-only. There are generally no compulsive behaviors involved, just obsessive intrusive thoughts. The way it was explained to me is the everyone has these kinds of...
Quote: Originally Posted by John'sMama Unfortunately, IL doesn't have birth centers. Disappointing b/c yes, they do seem to be the best of both worlds! Unless it is a hospital-based birth center, there is no difference between a birth center and a homebirth other than you have to drive to a birth center. Everything that is available at a freestanding birth center is generally brought to your home by the midwife (I'm sure there are individual...
I think I would be concerned while still keeping in mind that it is in all likelihood normal. The "voices" were likely a dream or someone outside. As far as her brain telling her to kill you, well, we all have random intrusive thoughts every now and then and I can see how that would be frightening for a small child. Having dealt with intrusive/obsessive thought patterns as part of an anxiety disorder, I know how distressing it can be. It actually helped me a lot just...
Quote: Originally Posted by rebirth I'm a doula, and absolutely would not attend a planned UC. I would be the one with the most knowledge, and therefore could be charged and held responsible. And honestly- if something did go wrong could you REALLY just stand back and watch... keeping your hands clean? I sure couldn't. Even tho I know in a true emergency I am not really qualified, nor would I have the necessary equiptment to be effective. I support...
The books Learned Opimism and Authentic Happiness by Martin Seligman were very enlightening to me, because at times I end to feel similar to what you've described. He discusses his groundbreaking research into this field as well as how to change the way you think about the things in your life. I suggest you check them out and see if they might help you as well!
When I was pushing with my DD (home waterbirth), my son woke up about 20 minutes before she was born. My doula went upstairs and got him up, to the bathroom, etc. and settled him in front of the tv in the next room (open floorplan). I was doing a lot of "roaring" in the tub with my DH helping support me. He'd come over every so often and look to see what was going on and my husband would say something reassuring. Later on I asked him if it scared him when I was making...
Looks like you're north of Columbus? Have you tried CHOICE midwives there? If they don't travel that far, they will likely know of someone who does. Here's the website: www.choicemidwives.org. They do homebirth, btw. You might also contact Ohio Midwives Alliance for names/numbers of midwives in your area. Or look on the NARM website, which I believe also has listings or a way to get referrals. GL!
Maybe you could gift her a book that might help her, and that way it wouldn't be *you* giving her advice, it would be xyz book that you found very helpful when you were dealing with some similar issue that she's having. Maybe "How to Talk.." or "Kids are Worth It" ??
Quote: Originally Posted by myopicfriend One thing I have a question about is the liver business. So many websites (like babycentre.co.uk) say NO liver at all, and the Brewer diet recommends liver once a week if you like it (I love pate'). Also my midwife says cod liver oil is great to take as well, again, lots of "mainstream" websites say avoid. What are everyone's thoughts on this? DDC crashing to say you might ask in the TF forum for a...
Since the extra credit was being offered for getting a seasonal flu or H1N1 vax, I would HAVE to write my paper on that *insert evil emoticon here*. Have you read this recent article from Atlantic Monthly? Maybe it'll give you some idears: http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200911/brownlee-h1n1