or Connect

Posts by monkey's mom

There is also a Parents for OWS group. FB page here: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/159111290848687/   They are planning a family sleep over in NYC. Seems CNN will be covering it and Dan Zanes (woot woot) will be performing.   They are also discussing how parents can participate in the GAs as a working group.   Pretty interesting and exciting stuff!
subbing....i'm fighting coal currently (tooth and nail for my community), but I want to support and stick together....hope that's ok.
We sold our house by ourselves. But in a less traditional way. We sold at the height of the bubble where houses in our neighborhood were being snatched up, demo'd, and McMansions were being built. We approached a couple of the builders who were working on these new houses and set up deals that way. We did spend the money on a real estate attorney and that was well, well worth the couple hundred bucks.   While I think some folks will appreciate your honesty, I think...
Yes....no guarantees is the only guarantee! lol   This is a very often debated topic on many investment boards and among financial experts.   There is no one right answer as far as I can tell. There are many variables for each person's situation.   For ME, unless I am getting a 0% interest loan, I'm not going to borrow. There is a level of security from not owing on one's house that I hear over and over from folks who have chosen to pay off their mortgage vs. hold onto...
There are financial risks to both.   Writing off mortgage interest while paying interest on the loan is not the win/win that I think many people think it is. Paying a dollar to save 25 cents doesn't put you ahead in the long run.   Putting money into mutal funds is not the "sure thing" that it used to be. Nor is "investing" in one's home.   Both are risks. Both can provide securtity in your retirement.   We chose to pay cash for our last house rather than...
Not putting words in your mouth in the least. It's MY experience that people who make sweeping generalizations and insults about entire groups of people fall into a certain category as well. You've insulted an entire profession and offended me personally in this thread where I've tried to be helpful to you. How nice.   In any event, I would check into whether your state has a time limit for contractor complaints to be filed. If you only have a judgement of debt and...
You can hate all the professions, races, cultures you want. Plenty of folks do.   In any event, my husband and I are attempting to help with some free advice based on our experience in this field. Take it or leave it..   Again, WHO PULLED THE PERMIT? This is vital information for how you could proceed.   If his family member's company has their name on that permit, THEY are now responsible for your job.   If he used their company info against their...
Yeah, ya think? You call an entire profession crooks...go figure.   I'm pretty confused by your story. How did you "check him out?" If there was no business, what happened when you called his insurance company to verify his insurance? When you went online to verify his contractor class? Who pulled the construction permit?   I get he was a crook and there are LOTS of them out there, but it also sounds like you missed some big red flags (which is completely understandable...
  Holy shit at the bolded. Seriously??   My husband is a contractor and has been one for over 20 years. Never been sued, never taken to court, a giant trail of happy customers.   We pull our own permits, we NEVER ask for money up front. And we have eaten it more times than I can count because of our honesty and sticking our neck out for customers. You don't have to "trust" honest contractors because their credentials check out, they collect at draw points for materials...
What kind of business license and business insurance/bonding did he have? If he was licensed through your state as a Class "Whatever" (A, B, C) contractor, you should have more recourse through the state.   If his company was an LLC or a sole proprietorship, that will impact what your recourse might be, too.   Is this a personal filing or is his business filing for Bankruptcy? Or both?   This happens a lot--where builders will take a payment, file bankruptcy...