or Connect

Posts by monkey's mom

Big fat word on the frugal does not equal poverty.   How do you think most wealthy people end up wealthy?   We scrimp and pinch and count pennies despite having pretty significant net worth. We don't do it for "fun," we do it because we have goals of early retirement, second home-ownership, leaving inheritence to our children, etc., etc.  Being frugal is lifestyle choice. When we were poor it wasn't a choice, but now it's what we're used to. Blowing our savings...
This NIST Metallurgical Study   http://wtc.nist.gov/pubs/NCSTAR1-3ExecutiveSummary.pdf    indicates that they did have recovered pieces of steel from Bldgs. 1 and 2 (236 pieces or 25-50% of the total steel used, according to them), but no steel from Bldg. 7.   All very interesting.
Very interesting article:   http://www.nytimes.com/2001/12/25/nyregion/25TOWE.html    NY Times: A NATION CHALLENGED: THE TOWERS; Experts Urging Broader Inquiry In Towers' Fall By JAMES GLANZ and ERIC LIPTON Published: December 25, 2001 Saying that the current investigation into how and why the twin towers fell on Sept. 11 is inadequate, some of the nation's leading structural engineers and fire-safety experts are calling for a new, independent...
This is an interesting article from Worcester Poly Tech ("widely recognized as the home of the world's premier program for research and education in the field of fire and fire protection engineering.")   http://www.wpi.edu/News/Transformations/2002Spring/steel.html            and       So it seems that some forensic testing was initially done and the findings were highly irregular. This was early on, it seems, in the post-analysis process. But even these guys were saying,...
I get all that. It was a chaotic and unprecedented event and time, for sure.   But for me, I can't get past the fact that the bare minimum of what we do in normal crime scene, building failure, hi-jacking events was not done. The bare minimum. Again, FOR ME (well, and hundreds of experts in these fields, some of whom participated in the gov't analysis), it is really quite shocking given how vital this information is to our national security. Our government said it...
I just love everyone's responses! It's so funny what triggers that **thing** that says, "You are well cared for and financially OK." I love how simple some of them can be.
I did not recall correctly. Jet fuel can get up around 1800 degrees. Steel melts up around 2750 degrees.   Which just makes the whole thing all the more mystifying--a 2,000 degree difference between typical office fire and enormous steel damage resulting in collapse.   BeckyBird, thanks for the info. I'm interested to look at that further.   Mineta also said in another video that he was on the phone with the FAA tracking the Pentagon plane, was the conversation he...
80 killed in suicide bombing in Pakistan to avenge bin Laden's death and punish Pakistan for allowing US in.... hoo boy.   http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110513/ap_on_re_as/as_pakistan 
Yeah, the not knowing is kind of the sticking point for me w/ regards to this. Our abilities to do forensic arson investigations are phenomenal. We could know exactly what was in that fire. And when it burned and how long and hot and what started it, etc., etc. As far as I can tell we didn't endeavor to find out any of that information--and truly until now I had assumed that extensive forensic testing had been done. It's incredible to me. It would be shocking to me if it...
I'm happy to consider other factors, but I'm not sure other than air flow, I've seen too many.   I'm absolutely NOT saying, it's only this or it's a gov't conspiracy. Not at all.   I'm simply saying with regard to the fires, that based on what we know about phsyics, there would have to be some other factors at play (besides increased oxygen levels) to generate the kind of heat or reaction that would result in the VERY rare occurance (and as stated by FEMA,...